Concorde - a ray of hope

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: Concorde - a ray of hope

Postby Hagar » Sat Apr 12, 2003 10:30 am

Hmmm. BA seem to change their tail colours every few weeks. Check out this lot.
http://airlinesgate.free.fr/articles/preview.htm
Maybe that's where all the profits went in the first place.

Apart from the cost involved I don't see a problem.  ???

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RIC_BARKER » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:57 am

I don't think that profit making is the only consideration here, look at what Branson has done with the trains in the UK.

I think it's as much about the prestige of being the only carrier in the world to go supersonic, and I wish Richard the best of luck, as it would be a crying shame to see such a brilliant and magnificent aircraft rot in a hangar.

On another note, Ozzy, if you're reading this, I once read a story about a guy that bought a Spit for one english pound....
RIC_BARKER
Captain
Captain

Postby EirePlane » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:10 am

It would be possiblefor branson to paint the concordes in the red livery without the paint stripping as long as he left the wings white.they done the same thing with the PEPSI concorde in 1996 and as far as I know They were trouble free
EirePlane
Captain
Captain

Postby Craig. » Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:39 am

well in the end its all just plain speculation and as BA said they could have pulled it from service effective immedietly but wanted it to retire with dignity, which is the best thing so dont expect it to go to virgin.
on a side note today is the final day of the BA concorde offer, you can fly on concorde to new york for as little as
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Maccers » Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:28 pm

Virgin wont fly Concorde. :(
BA has already agreed that all of their concordes are going for static displays. Article here.
The only hope is that Air France are willing to hand them over.
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:47 am

Hold it Maccers NEWSFLASH
http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/030417/1736001046_2.html from our v.own news service here at SimV!!!!

Ozzy ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Fri Apr 18, 2003 2:03 am

he just doesnt give up does he. oh i have also read he is lobbying to be able to fly into iraq soon aswell, but there is no way BA should just hand over the planes the lounge the gates and check in desks all for a
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:11 am

Craig the reason he doesn't give up is what made him Britains richest man, and good luck to him. I think Branson if he got the Concordes would still give them to museums once they were at the end of their service life, he can afford it.
Before your time there was a man called Freddy Laker who owned Laker airways, and he became incredibly successful and stuck it to the big 'flag carriers' by undercutting them on price etc. They crucified him and destroyed his business. However they paid a heavy price for trying to create a monopoly. I think Branson is just determined to prove they are not all powerful! Good luck to him, I'd sooner Concorde was in the air than collecting dust.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:37 am

if he does promise them to the museums i might ease up a little on him i just dont trust him one bit. as for that laker guy i remember seeing a tv program on him a while back but still know little about him
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:04 am

Craig try these links;
This one is about Sir Frederick http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2283244.stm
And this one is about Laker Skytrain (I still have some pictures of me with and on these!) http://hound.hypermart.net/history.htm
Personally I'd sooner trust Richard Branson than the monkeys at BA, they tend to be old school tie and government connected. I mean everytime that BA makes a loss the government bails them out! At least Branson understands the idea of our money, and that the best value and service gets customers, something no government based organisation has ever bothered to learn!

Ozzy
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EirePlane » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:31 am

Just Out of intrest, has anyone here ever been in a concorde?
I went in the prototype one at duxford aerodrome. We weren't even allowed to sit down in it let alone fly in it
EirePlane
Captain
Captain

Postby Craig. » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:44 am

thanks for the links ozzy:)
as for being on concorde only the one at yeovil
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 11:42 am

I have once. Awesome just isn't the word, but having come from a background of 747s DC10s etc I was shocked how tiny it is inside!

Ozzy
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:02 pm

just how small is the actual thing?? i am 6'1 and in the one at yeovil i was having to bend right down to walk through it, the only part was the middle which my head was just touching as it was please tell me the real thing isnt that small and its just a prototype
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RollerBall » Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:18 am

Don't think there's any chance of this. Read somewhere that Virgin Atlantic is currently losing something like
RollerBall

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion