this is unbelievable

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

Re: this is unbelievable

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Wed Apr 16, 2003 3:58 pm

youve lost me on the ryme ??? ??? ???
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Wed Apr 16, 2003 4:08 pm

well i refuse to say the original but the original is enie minie miny moe catch a tiger(tigger) which ever version you've heard now change a letter in the second version to a racial slur and you have to old word used, like i said till i had asked my mum i had never heard that before and if this is deemed inapropriat please remove it asap
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Bumper » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:12 pm

???

Sorry to sound a slightly discordant note guys.

Actually the house had been there for hundreds of years before the base and as I recall, most aircraft movements had been reduced or even terminated in recent years until there was a decision to reactivate with the Harrier training.

Problem was they were using the house to line up the trainee pilots, continuously overflying it and as I recall (although I can't be sure) flying outside of the agreed hours to the extent it was affecting the lives and business of the residents.

Sorry folks, when I saw the recent TV news report I initially felt like most of you but when I heard the full details my sympathies were with the people. Looks like the authorities felt the same way also.

Surely quality of life is more important than the right to fly whenever and wherever you want - especially when there are so many closed airfields in the UK that could be reactivated for the purpose while affecting almost no one.

I'm sure as an occasional posting guest I'll get some flack on this one, but it's too easy to get hysterical if you don't know (or want to know) the facts.
Bumper
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Oso » Wed Apr 16, 2003 9:25 pm

No flak from me Bumper.

I really detest people that move into a flight pattern and then complain of the noise.

However, I realize there are two sides to most stories.
Oso

Postby Deputy » Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:38 pm

if i really sued every1 i said i would i school,if be richier than bill gates ::)

Good luck, it isn't like schools are doing all that well, you wouldn't make much
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby pete » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:18 am

???

Sorry to sound a slightly discordant note guys.

Actually the house had been there for hundreds of years before the base and as I recall, most aircraft movements had been reduced or even terminated in recent years until there was a decision to reactivate with the Harrier training.

Problem was they were using the house to line up the trainee pilots, continuously overflying it and as I recall (although I can't be sure) flying outside of the agreed hours to the extent it was affecting the lives and business of the residents.

Sorry folks, when I saw the recent TV news report I initially felt like most of you but when I heard the full details my sympathies were with the people. Looks like the authorities felt the same way also.

Surely quality of life is more important than the right to fly whenever and wherever you want - especially when there are so many closed airfields in the UK that could be reactivated for the purpose while affecting almost no one.

I'm sure as an occasional posting guest I'll get some flack on this one, but it's too easy to get hysterical if you don't know (or want to know) the facts.

1st of all Bumper - you shouldn't get any flack .... being 'rude' in this little corner of cyberspace is strongly discouraged
Last edited by pete on Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
pete
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Thu Apr 17, 2003 10:56 am

i wont go into the ins and outs of the MOD my dad works for them and ya never know who maybe readin this, but according to the MOD a number of soldiers commited suicide by shooting themselves in the head twice. so i would never trust them, but this couple must have known about this flight line before they moved in no matter how long the house has been there
i am gonna go on the whole old fart of a judge idea
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:02 pm

The house is actually Walcot Hall, a Grade I listed manor house in Barnack, Lincolnshire, near RAF Wittering. I saw an aerial photo published in today's newspapers. It might be a huge estate but it's so close the house is almost part of the airfield & in direct line with the runways. No matter how rich you are I doubt anyone could put up with Harriers constantly using the house to line up on final approach at all hours of the day & night. Those Harriers are deafening at the best of times. I love aircraft but would certainly complain too.
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:15 pm

hey they could buy some good ear defenders now they have all that money:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby BFMF » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:17 pm

If you buy a house next to a military airfield, you should expect that there will be a lot of air traffic and that it will be loud at times
Last edited by BFMF on Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Hagar » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:28 pm

But who would buy a house next to a military airfield? It will be noisy, no matter what you want

Well, the house was built in 1678 so it's been there much longer than the airfield. The present owners moved there in 1963 when activity was confined to conventional aircraft. They had no objection to that & all was fine until the Harriers started operating there in 1967. If you've ever heard a Harrier landing you will know just how noisy they are. I don't usually have much time for people who complain about aircraft noise but have a certain sympathy with the owners in this instance.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4622483,00.html
Last edited by Hagar on Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:39 pm

you gotta find some of that artical funny, like the whole missions flown from there are vital for defence of the realm. well yeah or at least for the hunger of the pilots, this whole VTOL has a huge advantage when its time to go out for pizza ;D great skill is needed to parrallel park one of those things between two SUV's ;D
and the roar of a harrier, is there anything that sounds so sweet?
Last edited by Craig. on Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:51 pm

Well, the house was built in 1678 so it's been there much longer than the airfield. The present owners moved there in 1963 when activity was confined to conventional aircraft. They had no objection to that & all was fine until the Harriers started operating there in 1967. If you've ever heard a Harrier landing you will know just how noisy they are. I don't usually have much time for people who complain about aircraft noise but have a certain sympathy with the owners in this instance.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4622483,00.html

Hi Hagar/All...!

My local airfield, (Shobdon EGBS), has VERY, VERY strict rules regarding over-flying the villages and sensitive areas surrounding the airfield, and everyone obeys these rules to the letter.
It is EXTREMELY important NOT to antagonise any locals, but to encourage them to visit and enjoy the hospitality of their local airfield.
Small airfields, at least, need all the good press that they can get, to prevent them from being closed down, which they surely will be if local residents complain too much...!
...seen it happen lots of times... :'(...!
Noisy aeroplanes and the general public don't mix very well...

Cheers all...
Paul.
(England).
Last edited by Fozzer on Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:57 pm

You guy's have got to remember that not all people are aviation fanatics. I think most would be a tad pissed off to have military aircraft flying over at all times of day.
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:00 pm

nor do the complaining general public and fast low flying jets with big bombs under their wings ;)
actually at the middle wallop airshow they used to have a really funny trick they would play,(i think i have told ya about this before) but they would send an assistant to the car park and note down the number plate of a really nice car and then they would have a helecoptor bring in an old car and then accidently drop it from a large height, they would then have the announcer come over the PA and ask the the owner of said car please goto the nearest info booth we have accidently picked up the wrong car for our display. then they would, get a bottle of bubbly for not sueing after finding out it was a joke
maybe they should do that to these people and give them a little heart attack instead of bubbly:)
Last edited by Craig. on Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion