London Marathon

If it doesn't fit .. It fits here .. - -

London Marathon

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:51 am

I don't know how many of you saw it, or maybe even participated (I've still to do it, but my ankle injury is clearing up so maybe next year....), but it is known as one of the slower marathons because of the course having more twists and turns than a ball of wool in the paws of a kitten on coffee!
But a new World Record was set in the mens by Khalid Khannouchi (Moroccan-born but a United States citizen for the past 23 months), incredible isn't the word!!! And his quote at the press conference:
Last edited by ozzy72 on Sun Apr 13, 2003 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Re: London Marathon

Postby Whitey » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:31 am

I'm just getting into this long ditance running for real...do quite a bit with the Air Cadets. ;)

My Uncle came 297th in the London marathon last year.  he did 2 hours 47 mins or something close to that...I think... ???...

Hope I can be that good some day. ;D
Whitey
Major
Major

Postby Maccers » Sun Apr 13, 2003 5:48 am

My mum has done the london marathon various times over the last two decades.
I thought about doing it a few years back, but long distance isn't my kind of running. I'm more of a short distance sprinter :)
Athlon XP 1800+, 1GB RAM, Asus V9560 FX 5600 256Mb, 40Gb HDD
Maccers
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:22 am

I thought about doing it a few years back, but long distance isn't my kind of running. I'm more of a short distance sprinter :)

....I'm more of a sit down in my comfy chair, think about it for a VERY short time, and then QUICKLY change my mind, type.... ;D....!
...resting is cool, and puts less stress on the joints... 8)...!
LOL...!

Cheers...
Paul.
(England).
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tequila Sunrise » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:32 am

I'm more of a sprinter as well but I'd like to run a marathon before I join the RAF.
If someone with multiple personality disorder threatens suicide, is it a hostage situation?

Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee
Tequila Sunrise
Major
Major

Postby Craig. » Sun Apr 13, 2003 8:51 am

i used to run those distances 3 times a week but torn acl, mcl and meniscus, has put a stop to that now. hope your ankle is ready for next years ozzy, start training now and you'll have no problems
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:05 am

Hi Craig, thanks for the encouragement. I'm hoping to do some 1/2 marathons this year as my injuries disappear, I'm also planning to do the across Balaton (big famous lake) race in the summer (5km swim!) too for a laugh.
I'm built along the sprinting or carrying heavy bergen lines, and I'll probably never get around a marathon in under 3 hours (I'm just a big bloke, v.much at the mo. due to all the chocolate and no training!), but I just want to know I've done it. Maybe I'll do the Budapest one as a warm up.

Ozzy :P
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:23 am

it doesnt matter how long it takes its just a huge acomplishment to even take part and finish. wish you all the best for the training and should you take part the marathon its self:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Smoke2much » Sun Apr 13, 2003 1:08 pm

I would love to have a crack at the marathon.  Only problem is that the weight of the bag I would need to cart all the beer and cigarettes around with me would finish me off!

Will
Who switched the lights off?
Smoke2much
Major
Major

Postby Woodlouse2002 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:09 pm

You could do in in a bronze diving suit!!! Then you have an excuse for it taking 3 weeks for you to finish!!! ;D
Woodlouse2002 PITA and BAR!!!!!!!!

Our Sovereign Lord the King chargeth and commandeth all persons, being assembled, immediately to disperse themselves, and peaceably to depart to their habitations, or to their lawful business, upon the pains c
Woodlouse2002
Colonel
Colonel

Postby HawkerTempest5 » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:21 pm

My partner, Pamela, ran the Great North Run last year and has entered again for this years event (she's mad!) Me, I'll just stick to cycling.
Flying Legends
HawkerTempest5
Major
Major

Return to General Discussion