Using Autopilot

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Using Autopilot

Postby Futaba » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:32 am

Hello All,
     As a new member
Futaba
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Using Autopilot

Postby Fozzer » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:40 am

Have you taken the various; "Flying Lessons" in FSX/FS 2004?

Always a good way to start....

Paul... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby WPadgett » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:14 pm

The short answer to your first question is no. What version of FS are you using?
CP - ASMEL, instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby SaultFresh » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:09 pm

I don't believe the autopilot can be used for such a purpose, both in Flight Sim and in the real world. In fact, in all the planes I've flown (which feels limited), the checklist says to ensure that the autopilot is disconnect, or off, before takeoff. From previous experience, most autopilots are also not capable of landing an airplane, unless they are approved for auto-land system, in which case I'm pretty sure there are three autopilots. Autopilot also does not control yaw... just as a heads up.
SaultFresh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:21 am

Autopilot also does not control yaw...

Advanced autopilots do. Not the real single prop Cessna mounted ones, this I give you (they'd cost more than the plane), but those in liners, especially the long haulers, MUST be able to control all three axis.

Regardless, to build a plane that would be able to do all on its own (push-back, taxi, take-off, climb, cruise, descent, landing, taxi, park) would not be absolutely impossible even nowadays. Planes that could realistically fly themselves without needing a pilot are technically possible... fact is that there are several factors that keep the builders to buy those hypothetical monsters, one of them is the reliability of all those systems (statistically, the more a system is complex, the easier some problem or failure can happen to it), the other is the simple argument that it's true that about the 50% of plane accidents happen because of human error... but would you fly on a plane that has no pilot? Even one accredited to be able to do all the flight on its own from pushback to park?

I would not. :P
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby aeroart » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:44 am

Hi Futuba,

I think the best you can do in FltSim is to preset your autopilot to your cruise altitude and climb airspeed, then select your destination in the GPS. Take off manually. After you clean up the airplane, turn on the autopilot and select GPS with the NAV/GPS switch. You will have to reset the AP's airspeed to your cruising speed when you reach cruising altitude. The GPS will take you to your destination at your cruising altitude. If you fall asleep on the way, the GPS will start circling when it reaches the preset destination. It won't circle around the destination point; that point will be a point on the circumference of the circle.

Art
Last edited by aeroart on Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
aeroart
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School