How to take off with the Piper cub.

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Re: How to take off with the Piper cub.

Postby Fozzer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:38 am

....^^^^^.... ::)... ;)...

Now you can see why I love my little (nose-wheely!) Cessna 150/152 "Trainesr"!..... [smiley=2vrolijk_08.gif].....!

It does exactly what it says on the Fuselage!... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]...!

Tail-draggers have a mind all of their own!...(Ground Loops, etc).... :o...!

It takes a lot of training and practice, to safely control a small General Aviation tail-dragger aircraft.
Noting the wind direction is all important for ground manoeuvring, and take-off + landing !

Paul....FS 2004... [smiley=vrolijk_1.gif]...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:35 am

Tail-draggers have a mind all of their own!...(Ground Loops, etc).... :o...!

Only if you are a raw beginner with no idea of what you're doing. :P

It takes a lot of training and practice, to safely control a small General Aviation tail-dragger aircraft.

Maybe in Real Life. Under FS not really. Before I understood the mechanics of it, I could only loop all the way to ever-circular hell or go straight into a word of hurt with the Cub and other similar planes... but once I read a sadly forgotten really well written page on the net about WHAT to do and WHY... I got better.

Not suddenly perfect, this I grant you, but I was able to make something else than disasters or donuts almost immediately, and in a half a hour of practice I could taxi the Cub with relative precision, if not ease.

Easy is not the way of the Force... nor the way of the Taildraggers either, and yes, the nosewheel-ed planes are by far easier, but there's a deep sense of satisfaction in being able to make a castor wheel taildragger do exactly what you want, and not what it whishes. A satisfaction only those who CAN DO it, can understand. ;)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:46 am

.... ;D....!

One of the few benefits I have found with tail-draggers, is that they can mostly take off and land on remote, rough surfaces, which would most likely cause the nose-wheel to be damaged, or snap-off, damaging the propeller, and shock-loading the engine, on a tricycle aircraft...

...beware Gopher/Rabbit holes!... :o...!

...but ground manoeuvring a small, light, tail-dragger, in gusty, windy, conditions, is a work of art!....and a bum-clencher!*... ;D...!

"On a wing and a prayer"....The "prayer" bit applies to tail-draggers... ;)... ;D...!

Paul... 8-)...!

* ....a bit like high-speed cornering on my motor bike!... :o...!

Piper Cub:...Book of Rules...>>> http://www.sportpilot.org/learntofly/ar ... rning.html
Motorcycles: How to become a Man....>>> http://artofmanliness.com/2011/06/02/le ... otorcycle/
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jeff55 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Hello All,

I am back to tell you that I could finally make some kind of "safe" take off with the piper cub, but honestly could not stay in line with the Runway. In my previous attempts to take off with that bird, I expected a take off speed above 60 or 70 Knots. Weel it seems that it is the cruise speed. This may explain my problem to fly with it. My "victorious " take off happened at a little 45 or 47 knots and the roll on back was not far anyway.

Thank to all of you for your precious recommendation.

Jeff.
jeff55
jeff55
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Strategic Retreat » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:39 pm

Oh dear... ;D ...the Cub is quite the kite. A take off between 60 or 70 is DC3 territory. Just another kind of taildragger. ;)
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby trvdmeulen » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Just take a look at my attempts A2A Simulations Piper cub ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWAnu9b ... ature=plcp
Hardware: Intel Core i3 2100(4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz Memory: Corsair 16340MB DDR-3 RAM 1333 Mhz 2 modules (till a maximum of 32 Gb)
GrapicsDevice: Asus Geforce GT520 2Gb DDR-3 810 Mhz Processor at 1,066 Ghz X-65F HOTAS Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder Pedals
trvdmeulen
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby jeff55 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:01 am

Nice job !

Will try to do reproduce such clean take-off. Hum, it may require sometime !
jeff55
jeff55
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby WPadgett » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:35 pm

Couldn't believe that a takeoff in a real Piper J3 Cub could possibly be as difficult as the one in FS9. Checked with a pilot who has J3 Cub time and he said, "If they were that tough, the weeds alongside the runway would have been littered with them still."

With that in mind I did some experimenting. First I went to the 'Aircraft, Realism' tab. My 'Flight model' settings are all sliders to 'Realistic.'

Setting the Torque and P-factor sliders to approximately 20% made a successful takeoff with the J3 Cub much easier and more certain.

Then I tried changing the 'aircraft.cfg' file in the 'Piper_J3Cub' folder as follows:

On the following lines, change the value from =0.3 to =0.05 on both lines. This is a good starting point and you can adjust up or down from here.

p_factor_on_yaw
CP - ASMEL, instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Flight School