Twins - Vyse during landing

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Twins - Vyse during landing

Postby Gregorio » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:02 am

Hi All.

Hope someone can shed some light onto this. While training my twin flight techniques (I generally use the Carenado King Air) and on final approach, I keep airspeed above Vyse (the blue line) until I cross the runway threshold, but my touch down ends up happening a bit farther then I'd like because of the additional speed I have to bleed off until it does not want to float above the runway. It seems that I should start decelarating to below Vyse (but still above Vmca) before reaching the thresold and when I am assured of reaching the runway.

Question is, what is the best procedure in this case? Should I keep Vyse until I am above the runway or so or should I decelerate once I am positive I can make the distance to the runway? I tried to find some text specific to this aspect of flyng but to be sincere they did not convince me entirely. And this is one important part.

Thanks in advance!
Gregorio
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Twins - Vyse during landing

Postby DaveSims » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:10 pm

I'm not a real twin pilot, but I've always heard from those who are maintain blue line until the runway is assured.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:50 pm

I maintain blue line or above until the runway is assured.  But you have to decarease your speed so you're at your ref speed over the threshold.  Otherwise, you'll float much further than you want to.  Going into short strips, I'll ref at 90 knots (Piper Navajo), while blue line is 107.  So for about the last 500 feet or so until landing, I'll be below blue line.

Cheers  8-)
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby Gregorio » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:24 am

Awesome! Thanks! That does answer my question! I'll start by aiming to decelerate to Vref in those final 500 feet to the runway and work from there.

Thanks again!!!  :)
Gregorio
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight School