Any formation tips?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Any formation tips?

Postby nthn1 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:44 am

Hi, I'm looking for tips on how to fly formations with fsrecorder, any tips please (besides flying with low power).
nthn1
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Any formation tips?

Postby c130lover » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:51 pm

well, flying at a lower power is wise, you don't want to floor it the entire time. It's bad for the engine, and you won't be able to keep up. Another thing, keep at a stable altitude. It's a lot easier to keep track of two dimensions instead of three.
c130lover
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby CHUCK79 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:57 pm

Very gentle inputs..........don't jerk the aircraft around ;)

Here's another fun tool for FSX formation flying:
http://mudpond.org/ (second one down)

It allows you to choose aircraft from your aircraft folder to fly in formation with. These aircraft will act as AI and fly in the formation of your choosing.....all you have to do is join the formation 8-) 8-)
CHUCK79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby C » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:35 pm

FS formation flying is trickier than the real world - it's a lot easier with the depth perception you get in a real aeroplane. Chuck has the key though; stay relaxed, don't tense on the controls (easier in FS the RW!), and apply smooth and gentle inputs. The final tip is to only change one thing at a time. If you are out of position adjust one parameter at a time.

The secret to good formation is knowing your "references", ie the things you can see on the lead aircraft that you are trying to keep steady in your windscreen. Once you've established these you can work on maintaining them.

To maintain them, think in 3-planes:

Forward/Back - controlled using throttle (usually defined by lining up something on the wing, for example the inner edge of the aileron, with something on the fuselage, such as window, door etc)

Up/down - elevator, normally defined by how much of the upper/lower surface of the leader's wing you can see - about one third of the upper/two thirds lower is fairly typical. You try to maintain this split.

In/Out (ailerons) is normally the hardest to define. Often it helps to be established on the other two before judging the lateral spacing from the lead.

That's a very simplistic explanation, but covers the basics. :) Personally I find formation the most satisfying form of RW flying, even over aerobatics. :)
Last edited by C on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 am

A suggestion I feel I must give you, if someone else hasn't already, is not to use online weather.

Normally, the planes flying a formation in real world can trust on a uniformity of weather, relative one another, while downloaded weather is interpreted in different ways by each FS machine. So it can happen that you're having a ride as smooth as silk, while some of your wingmen get bumps all the way... or the other way around... making the formation almost impossible, only for the fault apparent of some who do not deserve the blame for it.

All the FS stations should use the themes coming with FS, better if the clear sky one. It is the best choice.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby wifesaysno » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:09 am

Hi, I'm looking for tips on how to fly formations with fsrecorder, any tips please (besides flying with low power).

If you want I will do some formation flying with you on the simv server  ;)

It's one of my favorite things to do while flying.
wifesaysno
Major
Major

Postby C » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:01 pm

A suggestion I feel I must give you, if someone else hasn't already, is not to use online weather.

If you're learning and getting used to it, I'd suggest no weather at all!
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:25 pm

Allow me to repeat and maybe to clarify what I meant in the other post. The weather MUST be the same between the various airplanes taking part to the formation, just like in real life. All right some planes in real life can be kicked about by the the slipstream or the wake of another plane they try to close in in the incorrect way. But these cases notwithstanding, if the formation is executed correctly there's little to no difference of weather from an end to another of the formation itself.

And here we crash against a serious limitation of FS. If you load REAL weather, you CANNOT be sure the FS in your PC interprets the data it got in the same way of your next wingman... or the rest of the formation for thaty. It may just happen (and it had) that to your wingman the weather was smooth and pleasant, while for you there's the mother of all contrasting gales somewhere around your plane making a mess of your flight path.

And with more people using real weather in the formation, the probabilities of a disaster happening increase exponentially.

This is why when asked I suggest to aspiring formation fliers to turn off real weather and choose a standard theme. Clear Blue Skies and no wind for the beginners or those who go: "today I just don't want to work too much", all the other for those more expert or that would like more of a challenge... but all the planes MUST use the same theme and COMPLETELY FORGET REAL WEATHER, you'll only increase the probabilities of making a hash out of your flight if you do differently. Experience talking here. :)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby -Crossfire- » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:07 am

Formation flying is very tricky in the sim (i assume its quite difficult in real life... but i've never done it).  As other people have said, small control inputs are the key.  Try to keep you hand very relaxed on the stick.  Also, use very small inputs on the throttle... just make small movements forwards or backwards.  When I started doing FSRecorder formation flights, I was not very good... but just keep doing them... practicing..... and you'll get better.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby C » Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:26 pm

Allow me to repeat and maybe to clarify what I meant in the other post.

Yeah, that's what I meant. No weather at all (ie, SKC, nil wind etc), for everyone taking part. Keeps it simple. :)
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby EVVFCX » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:19 pm

I've tried the formation tool, the tool itself seems to work fine, what I'm finding is that there is no collision detection with the other aircraft and that on starting the take off roll I have no chance of keeping up with the other aircraft.

On the add on drop down menu, for every time I run the formation program, it's adding a 'add formation' option to the formation menu on the add on menu.

lets say I crash and restart, there are now 2 add formations on the drop down menu, if I stop for any reason and restart, it adds yet another 'add formation' option and it's not clear until you try each one, which is the right one to use.

Over all it seems OK but fsrecorder also worked fine for me but since upgrading that program, I can't load my older recordings.

Fly online? what's that? Just kidding, I've not flown online since FS98. I know shame on me, but back then I was with a va based on Sabena which we had to stop, then it became Europava, not sure what happened to the them.

Matthias? are you still around?

regards

Steve.
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Pick two points on the aircraft you're forming up on and make certain they align with things in your cockpit. Then advance slowly on them, no sudden moves. Remember if you're coming in on them diagonally you'll need more speed to cover the same ground. Matching airspeed will get you no where.
Also it helps if whoever is flying the lead plane is slightly more steady than the Rock of Gibraltar ;)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby EVVFCX » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:18 am

Has anybody else had the menu problems mentioned above plus the other aircrafts acceleration being much higher than yours whilst on the ground?

regards

Steve
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby DaveSims » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:46 pm

In the real world, unless you are the Blues or some other demonstration team, you don't usually take off in formation.  Usually its a staggered takeoff, with join up in the air.  If you do a formation takeoff, then the lead aircraft has to use a slightly reduced power setting to give the wingman a speed advantage to maintain his position, assuming identical aircraft.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby C » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:00 pm

[quote]In the real world, unless you are the Blues or some other demonstration team, you don't usually take off in formation.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Flight School