Clouding the issue...

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Re: Clouding the issue...

Postby C » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:58 pm

Even as someone with decent instrument training, and soon to finish my rating I hope, I have great respect for what it takes to fly without reference to the outside world.

Interesting thoughts. On your last point, having done a lot of pure instrument flying in the past 5 years, I now find it easier in some ways than VFR - just fly and believe the instruments, and get a service from ATC to tell you who might be thinking of hitting you, so to speak (in cloud you don't have to use you capacity to be looking out - probably the single advantage of being in cloud - other than the point below).

From a disorientation point of view, the worst time I find is when you are just in cloud tops, where it is very easy to pick out a false horizon, and hence to try and trick your brain into thinking the attitude indicator/artificial horizon is wrong. Can be a little unnerving, but you just have to stick to the principles!
C
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Flight School