Instrument rating

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Instrument rating

Postby DaveSims » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:54 pm

In preparation for finally getting my instrument rating I have been taking practice written exams online.  Most of my scores have ranged from 70% to 85%.  Not bad for a guy who hasn't studied instrument stuff in 10 years.  The local instructor wants you to consistently score 80% or higher before he will sign you off to take the written, so I have a little work to do.  I hope to have my rating by this summer.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Re: Instrument rating

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:03 am

My advice.. for what it's worth, is to fly actual IMC, as often as possible. 'Under the hood', is OK, but not a whole lot more educational, than what you can drill into your subconcious practicing instrument procedures in the sim (with good hardware). It's all good, but nothing makes you put (and learn) all the knowledge to use, and commit it to instinct; from weather-stuff, to flying holds; like planning for, and flying in, unforgiving, REAL conditions.. where you cannot see past the prop, and ice CAN happen, and being IN a cloud can turn you upside down, instantly..

It gives a whole new reality to the theories tested on a written exam, and makes wrong answers stick out glaringly  ..  :)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby WPadgett » Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:40 pm

[quote]In preparation for finally getting my instrument rating I have been taking practice written exams online.
CP - ASMEL, instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby GlobalHobo » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:25 am

My advice.. for what it's worth, is to fly actual IMC, as often as possible.
Gotta agree 110-percent. Just stay outta the thunder-bumpers you guys can get over the corn-fields. Or are you in the soy-bean part of the state?
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DaveSims » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Fortunately I have all of the required hours for the instrument rating, all I need to do is brush up enough to pass the written and check ride.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:57 pm

Passed the written this morning, 85%.  Wasn't really planning on taking it this morning, peer pressure made me do it. 
DaveSims
Major
Major

Return to Flight School