When to turn on/off the fasten seatbelt sign?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

When to turn on/off the fasten seatbelt sign?

Postby Gregorio » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:46 am

Hi fellow sim pilots.

I am a bit confused with the right use of the fasten seat belt sign. I assume that I have to turn it on as soon as I start the push back, and leave it that way until I reach cruise speed and altitute. Then I have to turn it on before I take the first action to start the descent procedures.

My doubt is, when the flight is short, for example, some 180 nautical miles, the time to get to a cruise altutite of 38,000 ft. and then descend from that altitute leaves almost no time for the seatbelt sign to be off, as the time the plane will spend in cruise is small. And the pasengers get no service!!
Gregorio
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: When to turn on/off the fasten seatbelt sign?

Postby DaveSims » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 am

If the air is smooth, you will sometimes see the fasten seatbelt sign come off at 10,000.  Above that, it is usually the pilot's judgement if it is safe.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:53 pm

I've noticed that it's usually 15-20 minutes before landing and 20-30 minutes from takeoff.

I would presume it depends on these things:
Imminent danger (turbulance, weather, airports, aircraft, etc)
Aircraft flight path (steep descent/ascent, or tight turns)
And generally being stable and comfortable for the passengers to come out of their seats.

There is probably a legal maximum pitch/roll where you can have the seat belt sign off. Generally though, so long as you're being steady, I think that's a viable time to come out of your seats.
Last edited by machineman9 on Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Gregorio » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:12 am

Thanks for the help. I am trying to follow these tips to assess the right time to turn the sign on/off. When I am finally lined up with my route and on a steady climb I will turn it off and when I receive the first instruction to descend I turn it on. Of couse, provided that the air is smooth. It seems to work better that way.

Again, thanks for the help!!!
Gregorio
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby skoker » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:36 pm

91.107 says
(2) No pilot may cause to be moved on the surface, take off, or land a U.S.-registered civil aircraft (except a free balloon that incorporates a basket or gondola, or an airship type certificated before November 2, 1987) unless the pilot in command of that aircraft ensures that each person on board has been notified to fasten his or her safety belt and, if installed, his or her shoulder harness.

So this means when on the ground, taxing, takeoff up to 10000ftMSL or cruse altitude if lower, in rough air, 10000ftMSL to landing, and taxing to the gate the sign must be on.
skoker
Major
Major

Postby Gregorio » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:40 am

Yes. Thanks for addition. I had a chance to talk to a 737 pilot and he told me exactly that: unless you have a special condition like turbulence, the switch goes to the "auto" position at 10,000 ft when climbing and goes back to "on" at the same altitude when descending.
Gregorio
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Jokerc152 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:39 am

Yes. Thanks for addition. I had a chance to talk to a 737 pilot and he told me exactly that: unless you have a special condition like turbulence, the switch goes to the "auto" position at 10,000 ft when climbing and goes back to "on" at the same altitude when descending.

Yeah thanks i always thought it was after levelling off or at a climb rate of like 500 fps?
Jokerc152
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School