Keeping a wary eye on your gauges!

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Keeping a wary eye on your gauges!

Postby Fozzer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 am

One thing I really enjoy in the Sim, particularly with my various GA Piston Props, singles and twins, is operating them within their safe/optimum operating conditions, especially regarding engine parameters.

As an example, for the Default Beech Baron 58:

I keep a wary eye on such things as; Outside Air Temperature (Pitot/Carb Heat), Manifold Pressure gauge(s), Exhaust Temp gauges, Cylinder Head Temp gauges, Oil Temp and Pressure gauges, RPM gauges (engine and propeller), Fuel Flow gauges, and the various effects of Throttle, Prop, and Mixture settings on the above!

I spend hours drilling extra holes in my various Panels to fit and install additional gauges (at vast expense!)!

Even my little Cessna 150 Aerobat now sports an additional Manifold Pressure gauge, Exhaust and Cylinder head Temp gauge, an outside Air Temp gauge for Pitot heat warnings, (together with a warning light to let me know if Carb Heat Temp is turned on..or not!), and even adjustable Cowl Flaps to keep the engine nice and warm and cosy!

It really is fun learning how to look after your very expensive engines!

Messrs Lycoming and Continental love me to bits!

Paul... :)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Keeping a wary eye on your gauges!

Postby hyperpep111 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:52 am

Soooo. Gauges must be those things that keep on telling me "Too low" Or "too fast" when doing a 10g dive recovery at 450kts, leveling off at 500 ft. Seems pretty high to me ::) ;D ;D ;D.
But seriously. Sitting in the (thingy)pit for hours admiring the gauges :o :o.
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:09 am

Soooo. Gauges must be those things that keep on telling me "Too low" Or "too fast" when doing a 10g dive recovery at 450kts, leveling off at 500 ft. Seems pretty high to me ::) ;D ;D ;D.

I wouldn't want to be relying on you as my Flight Engineer/Navigator/Co-Pilot!... :o...!

Paul... ;)... ;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hyperpep111 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:28 am

I wouldn't want to be relying on you as my Flight Engineer/Navigator/Co-Pilot!... :o...!

Paul... ;)... ;)...!

Why Is there an opening ;D
Most people think that flying a plane is dangerous, except pilots because they know how easy it is.
Arguing with a pilot is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you begin to think the pig likes it.
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:35 am

Paul... ;)... ;)...!

Nope...

..you need more lessons in Flight School yet... ;D..!

You don't need to get transfixed on the gauges, you just need to understand what they are telling you, as you glance at them...
In between times...your should be looking where you are going!.... ;D...!

Paul.... 8-)...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hyperpep111 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:08 am

Paul... ;)... ;)...!

Nope...

..you need more lessons in Flight School yet... ;D..!

You don't need to get transfixed on the gauges, you just need to understand what they are telling you, as you glance at them...
In between times...your should be looking where you are going!.... ;D...!

Paul.... 8-)...!

In modern planes, Gauges are just there to tell you the computers are sorting out your problems  ;D ;D ;D :D
:P
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:31 pm

I do a general sweep of all the gauges, but being a simulator, I am not too bothered about anything bad happening. If they had a realistic accidents addon (accurate probabilities of failures for all aircraft, automatically) then I would pay more attention.

To me, it's a little bit like driving. You learn not to rely on the dials as you just know what's going on. At any given time I could tell you the speed of the car to +/- 1mph just by intuition. Likewise, when in the sim, I know where I'm going, how fast and how high purely on what's outside the window and the noises it makes.
Last edited by machineman9 on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:49 pm

At any given time I could tell you the speed of the car to +/- 1mph just by intuition.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I couldn't do that & I've been driving for over 50 years. LOL :D
Last edited by Hagar on Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Fozzer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:07 pm

I know I'm a silly old Moo... :'(...and its only a Simulator... ::)....

...but if I am in an area where the chance of a successful landing is going be very unlikely upon engine failure...

I keep a wary eye on several very important gauges in front of me; Outside Air Temp (Carb Heat needed?), Air Speed Indicator/Altimeter (Pitot Tubes icing up?), Fuel gauges (low on gas?), Oil Pressure/Temperature (losing oil/cracked cylinder?), Cylinder Head Temperature/Exhaust Gas Temperature (Overheating/Mixture wrong ?), Air/Vacuum Pressure (Pumps OK?), Battery Volts/Amps (not charging?), etc...

If the needles aren't in the green, and things aren't running smoothly, then I need to take action without delay!

...all sorts of things can happen in an aeroplane, and failure of any one can mean a very bad day at the office if you are not prepared!

Its also very good practice for when Dad treats you to a Trial Flight in the Cessna 152, for your birthday...
...trust me... ;)...!

Paul...been there...done it...a few times... ;D...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby hyperpep111 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:33 pm

I know I'm a silly old Moo... :'(...and its only a Simulator... ::)....

...but if I am in an area where the chance of a successful landing is going be very unlikely upon engine failure...

I keep a wary eye on several very important gauges in front of me; Outside Air Temp (Carb Heat needed?), Air Speed Indicator/Altimeter (Pitot Tubes icing up?), Fuel gauges (low on gas?), Oil Pressure/Temperature (losing oil/cracked cylinder?), Cylinder Head Temperature/Exhaust Gas Temperature (Overheating/Mixture wrong ?), Air/Vacuum Pressure (Pumps OK?), Battery Volts/Amps (not charging?), etc...

If the needles aren't in the green, and things aren't running smoothly, then I need to take action without delay!

...all sorts of things can happen in an aeroplane, and failure of any one can mean a very bad day at the office if you are not prepared!

Its also very good practice for when Dad treats you to a Trial Flight in the Cessna 152, for your birthday...
...trust me... ;)...!

Paul...been there...done it...a few times... ;D...!

Do you also get out to check if the fuel has water/twigs in it? ;D ;D
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby machineman9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:13 pm

At any given time I could tell you the speed of the car to +/- 1mph just by intuition.

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I couldn't do that & I've been driving for over 50 years. LOL :D

Usually I am dead on, it's my own 'heads up display'  ;D  I find it safer, especially at night, to mentally know than to look and be glared by the dash!

As I say, Paul, if there was an automated failure system in the game that mimicked the real world, I would use all of the systems. I will usually get the oil up to heat and check the OATs if I am predicting some colder weather. But gauges are there to let you know that things are going wrong... If the game isn't making things go wrong, then it is needless to check them!

Aside from auto-mixture (which isn't quite so feasable, though I will be getting a dual-lever throttle soon) I have all the realism settings turned on and up. To me, the game is mostly a navigational tool to practise approaches and how not to wreck the plane. If the game was bothered about having all the dials in the 'green zone' then I would keep them there  ;)
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby hyperpep111 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Just a question Paul.
If a gauge stops working from a failure does that mean you must bail out? From what you guys are saying, :-?
hyperpep111
Major
Major

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:39 pm

One thing I really enjoy in the Sim, particularly with my various GA Piston Props, singles and twins, is operating them within their safe/optimum operating conditions, especially regarding engine parameters.

As an example, for the Default Beech Baron 58:

I keep a wary eye on such things as; Outside Air Temperature (Pitot/Carb Heat), Manifold Pressure gauge(s), Exhaust Temp gauges, Cylinder Head Temp gauges, Oil Temp and Pressure gauges, RPM gauges (engine and propeller), Fuel Flow gauges, and the various effects of Throttle, Prop, and Mixture settings on the above!

I spend hours drilling extra holes in my various Panels to fit and install additional gauges (at vast expense!)!

Paul... :)...!

If your prop and engine RPMs ever differ.. pitch for best glide and look for a place to set her down.. 'cause the prop is no longer bolted on..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:05 pm

Just a question Paul.
If a gauge stops working from a failure does that mean you must bail out? From what you guys are saying, :-?

If you suspect that a gauge is reading incorrectly then you must pay attention, and ascertain why it is, and what could be causing it...
(a) Your Air speed indicator/Altimeter is reading zero. Are the Pitot Tubes freezing up? Apply Pitot Heat.
(b) Your engine is running rough. Adjust Mixture? Carburettor icing up? Apply Carb Heat.
(c) Your oil pressure is dropping. Serious oil leak/cracked cylinder? Correctly identify the faulty engine on a twin, and be prepared to shut it down. Prepare to land.
(d) Battery not charging? Check Generator switches. Reduce the load.
(e) Check RPM gauges for correct speeds when changing Throttle settings (Engine and Propeller).
(f) Observe Manifold Pressure, and Fuel Flow Gauges for cruise performance.

A multitude of different things to be aware of, and precautions to be taken.

Above all....Don't panic!...Just remember, you are up in the air...and its a long way down! ...:o....!

Paul.... ;)...!

As as Machineman states, many failures wont be obvious in the Sim, but applying the instructions given in the Pilots and Aircraft Owners Handbooks will aid your understanding of the correct controlling and safe operating an aircraft.

...and its educational....and fun!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:22 pm

Psssst..  (read my post #12, per item (e) on your list)   ;)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight School