Rules of the Air...

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Rules of the Air...

Postby Fozzer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:39 am

...and how to break them!... ;)...

As you may (or may not) know, I spend an inordinate (today's REALLY BIG word!... :D...) amount of time exploring the highways and by-ways of California, and the surrounding States, by air, in my various, light aircraft.... :-*....

But every now and again, (like proper Pilots.... 8-)...), I get my Sectional Charts* out, study them for my particular region, after reading my manuals for details regarding flying in and around; "Controlled airspace", etc, (as you do), and noting the areas on the chart that I am presently flying in/towards, I am often surprised that those lovely Chaps and Chapesses in Air Traffic Control actually let me sit in my little Cessna 150 Aerobat, let alone actually take to the air in it.... :o...!

All those multi-coloured, Magenta, Blue, Cross-hatched circles, etc, extending around most of the countryside (and me!) means that most of the time I shouldn't be there!.... :'(...!

Its a scary World, inside a Sectional Navigation Chart.. :o..!

...trust me... ;)....>>>

* http://skyvector.com/

Paul.... :)...!

Thank goodness for ATC; "Flight Following"! ...I need all the help they can give me!.... :o...!
...presently in San Francisco Controlled Airspace, and sweating profusely!... :'(...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Rules of the Air...

Postby Mr._Ryan » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:14 am

...and how to break them!... ;)...

As you may (or may not) know, I spend an inordinate (today's REALLY BIG word!... :D...) amount of time exploring the highways and by-ways of California, and the surrounding States, by air, in my various, light aircraft.... :-*....

But every now and again, (like proper Pilots.... 8-)...), I get my Sectional Charts* out, study them for my particular region, after reading my manuals for details regarding flying in and around; "Controlled airspace", etc, (as you do), and noting the areas on the chart that I am presently flying in/towards, I am often surprised that those lovely Chaps and Chapesses in Air Traffic Control actually let me sit in my little Cessna 150 Aerobat, let alone actually take to the air in it.... :o...!

All those multi-coloured, Magenta, Blue, Cross-hatched circles, etc, extending around most of the countryside (and me!) means that most of the time I shouldn't be there!.... :'(...!

That's not necessarily true; it depends entirely on what type of airspace it is.
Mr._Ryan
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:41 am

That's not necessarily true; it depends entirely on what type of airspace it is.

.... ;)...!

Have you never suddenly found yourself in the middle of a busy Class B airspace (KSFO), flying your little Flex-wing?

..and what about being chased out of the military Airspace of Travis Air Force Base (KSUU), by a couple of F15 Fighters, whilst testing your new Glider?

And experiencing bullet hole appearing in your wings whilst overflying a Test Firing Range, is always disconcerting

Very easy to drift into, unawares!... :-[...!

Paul.... ;D... ;D...!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace_c ... _States%29
Last edited by Fozzer on Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby machineman9 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:06 pm

inordinate (today's REALLY BIG word!... :D...)

Trumped with Titin  ;) ;D

If in doubt, just go low and slow. If you're under the radar, they'll never know  ;)
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:17 pm

inordinate (today's REALLY BIG word!... :D...)

Trumped with Titin
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:06 am

VFR sectional charts look a lot scarier than they are..

All the "soft" magenta stuff, is just to designate that the practically uncontrolled 'E' airspaces goes all the way to the ground; through the actually uncontrolled 'G' airspace..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:38 pm

Do know what...
I have been taking my various book manuals, (Flight Unlimited II/III, Pro Pilot '99, FS 2000, etc), to bed with me at nights for years, (not a lot else to do... :'(...!), and studying them to aid my knowledge of flying aircraft, simulated or otherwise...

..and I am pretty sure, after all the time, and all that study, I would be very hard pressed to pass the examination for a Pilot's Licence!

It is all extremely complex, and requires an excellent memory for detail!

By the time I have woken up in the morning, and fired up my MS Flight Sim, I will have forgotten most of it!... ::)...!

..and that Sectional Chart with all its controlled airspace, continues to scare me witless when approaching San Francisco Bay and Oakland Centre alive with Jumbo 747's and the like, in my little Cessna 150!... :o...!
...and the Los Angeles Valley airspace is an absolute nightmare!... :'(...!
.... ;D...!

Paul... ;)... :)...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight School