FSX-Flight Director-Can it be put OFF during the Landing Approach phase?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

FSX-Flight Director-Can it be put OFF during the Landing Approach phase?

Postby M.S.M » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:40 pm

While flying a Landing Approach in Airbus A321 with the FD ON and the AP and AT, OFF, at the moment of a near perfect touchdown  the nose suddenly yaws upwards upto 20 degrees and all the efforts for a safe landing is lost .Why? Can the FD be put OFF during the landing phase? Please advice me on the right way to utilise the FD in FSX/FS2004.Thanks. :)
M.S.M
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: FSX-Flight Director-Can it be put OFF during the Landing Approach phase?

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:39 pm

Try this. BEFORE engaging the AP, ensure that the trim is as neutral as possible. In some (most?) FS planes, as soon you disconnect the AP, the trim returns to the settings it had BEFORE the AP was engaged, and if you engaged the AP soon after having taken off, with take off trim still... :P

It is a problem that was never thought really problematic from M$, whose coders left it alone and undisturbed for years and years, and that only the registered version of FSUIPC gives a solution to. ::)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby DaveSims » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:43 pm

I believe what you are encountering is the automatic go around on the Airbus.  If the speed and rate of descent are too high, the computer automatically begins a go around to keep you from crashing.  It is one of the ways Airbus has tried to dummy proof the airplane.  It has nothing to do with the FD.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:19 pm

If you have the AP and AT off and you're hand flying the aircraft, there's no reason the nose should pitch up that much unless you're doing it yourself.  The FD can be on or off while hand flying the aircraft.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby M.S.M » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:32 pm

Try this. BEFORE engaging the AP, ensure that the trim is as neutral as possible. In some (most?) FS planes, as soon you disconnect the AP, the trim returns to the settings it had BEFORE the AP was engaged, and if you engaged the AP soon after having taken off, with take off trim still... :P

It is a problem that was never thought really problematic from M$, whose coders left it alone and undisturbed for years and years, and that only the registered version of FSUIPC gives a solution to. ::)

Hi, Strategic Retreat,
Good morning(It is morning hrs. here, in India).Thanks for your speedy response to my post and an appropriate advice. I shall try following the same and hope to keep you informed of the result soon.
About the FSUIPC you have mentioned , I have not any knowledge to install and utilise it. I need some help in this regard. Thanks.
M.S.M
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby M.S.M » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:51 pm

[quote]I believe what you are encountering is the automatic go around on the Airbus.
M.S.M
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DaveSims » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:50 am

[quote]If you have the AP and AT off and you're hand flying the aircraft, there's no reason the nose should pitch up that much unless you're doing it yourself.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Strategic Retreat » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi, Strategic Retreat,
Good morning(It is morning hrs. here, in India).Thanks for your speedy response to my post and an appropriate advice. I shall try following the same and hope to keep you informed of the result soon.
About the FSUIPC you have mentioned , I have not any knowledge to install and utilise it. I need some help in this regard. Thanks.

Hallo to you too. Speaking (or rather writing) from Italy here. :)

Idle considerations about the mythical Airbus-Overmind of some, or the EVEN MORE mythical rumor that M$ may have made a default plane a little better than their barely mediocre average, (we'd really need the Mythbusters on the case, if they hadn't shown to possess the airmanship of a whale, once) the plane should not behave like that. Try Googling for FSUIPC. It's main page is always the first of the results. FSUIPC can be used without paying [the highway robbery price of] its registration, but unregistered it only serves to interface your planes or simulator to other softwares and you won't be able to use the advanced options.

If you have FSUIPC registered, you can find the option that says more or less "etcetera elevator trim at AP disconnection"... or something similar (I haven't my FS PC available at the moment and can't remember very well the option's caption, but it was the sole one that talked about the elevator), and once you have enabled that option, even if you connect the AP after take off and are still with take off trim, you don't need to worry anymore. When you'll disconnect the AP, the elevator trim will remain the same the AP inputed. :)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby M.S.M » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:17 am

Hi, Strategic Retreat,

Hallo to you too. Speaking (or rather writing) from Italy here. :)

Idle considerations about the mythical Airbus-Overmind of some, or the EVEN MORE mythical rumor that M$ may have made a default plane a little better than their barely mediocre average, (we'd really need the Mythbusters on the case, if they hadn't shown to possess the airmanship of a whale, once) the plane should not behave like that. Try Googling for FSUIPC. It's main page is always the first of the results. FSUIPC can be used without paying [the highway robbery price of] its registration, but unregistered it only serves to interface your planes or simulator to other softwares and you won't be able to use the advanced options.

If you have FSUIPC registered, you can find the option that says more or less "etcetera elevator trim at AP disconnection"... or something similar (I haven't my FS PC available at the moment and can't remember very well the option's caption, but it was the sole one that talked about the elevator), and once you have enabled that option, even if you connect the AP after take off and are still with take off trim, you don't need to worry anymore. When you'll disconnect the AP, the elevator trim will remain the same the AP inputed. :)

Hallo , Strategic Retreat!
It is very nice  of you to be so much concerned to help me out of this technical problems with the Airbus A321 and I have since grasped the essence of your advice. I shall try to get a registered copy of the FSUIPC as quickly as possible. I am always zealous to sharpen my flying skills and always aim fly the planes to professinoaly perfect. Thanks a lot, dear freind.
M.S.M
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Strategic Retreat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:47 am

We do what we can with what we have. You try to help someone today out of a snag, someone else will try to help you tomorrow out of another snag. That's all folks. ;)
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Return to Flight School