Sim Flight Training: Putting it all together...

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Sim Flight Training: Putting it all together...

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:44 pm

I've just bumped all the training threads (hope the mods don't mind) so we can start putting it all together (hopefully). I've never tried anything like this, so it will be a learning experience for everyone. It's not meant to be any type of exclusionary thing... but unfortunately, only FSX allows for shared cockpits; so in a way, it is exclusionary. And since both computers need to be on the same page to connect in multi-player; it will have to be limited to FSX/Acceleration installations. Yoke and pedals are best of course, but we can make accommodations for the limitations of joystick only simmers. I don't want it to be a pass/fail type deal. Anyone who has taken the time to read the training threads, and has made an honest effort to learn and understand the content has pretty much already "passed" the checkride. It will be more of a formality and an instructional flight (for both parties), than a test. Kind of like showing that you get the big picture. Anyone who has "passed" the checkride, is free to give checkrides, and to modify the format, anyway they see fit. That will help to get as many people "licensed", as want to be. This is all about having a good time, and promoting realistic simming. If it goes well and we have enthusiastic participation, I'll be happy to continue with more advanced training, right up to and including realistic instrument procedures.

Aside from FSX/Acceleration, you'll need to have a TeamSpeak client running on your computer... and be familiar with using it. I have my own TeamSpeak server.. or we can use the Simviation server. If you've never used TeamSpeak, we'll flesh that out in this thread.

The checkride itself will be a specific, relatively short flight that will include some navigating, maneuvering and demonstration of situational awareness. Set aside about two hours so we can get the session set up, and TeamSpeak up and running. I think we'll try just scheduling a ride or two, and go from there. PM me if you're interested... and then I'll forward a scenario back to you. It will be the starting airport; the destination airport; how the plane will be loaded, etc..
Last edited by Brett_Henderson on Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Re: Sim Flight Training: Putting it all together...

Postby Mobius » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:42 pm

Sounds good.  I've been a little busy with school, but I've been working on getting the second video together, and hopefully I can have it by the end of next week. ;)
Mobius
Major
Major

Postby Brett_Henderson » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:23 pm

Take your time...  the last thing we want to do, is to have deadlines and schedules to meet... for either or any of the parties involved.

I won't have a checkride scenario worked out until next week, anyway.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby kachius » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:27 am

Hello all!
My post is a few years late (!) but i recently decided i want to learn how to sim-fly (as i can afford the real thing for now)

I am following the "Sim Flight Training: PPL: Part"s
but i can not find the very first -and really difficult for me:

"1-Plan a flight of 50nm or more, accounting for winds aloft and their affect on heading and ground-speed. Calculate the minimum fuel needed (including reserves) and the maximum payload at that fuel level. "
(should be Sim Flight Training: PPL: Part 1 of 7)

The search function seems not to be working (on my pc at least) as i can not find threads i already know where they are!

Can someone help me posting a link to the first lesson?

Thank you very much in advance,
i hope there is someone still here after all those years...
kachius
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Hagar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:53 am

Can someone help me posting a link to the first lesson?

Links to the whole series are here --> http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1208113107

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby kachius » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:03 am

Great!!

Thank you for the fast response!
kachius
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby AbzWayne » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:43 pm

Sorry to point this out, but these links don't seem to work for me !!

Regarding the idea of the post, what would be a good starter aircraft to use as a base for the learning of navigation and then Radio use within FSX ??

PS: If anyone mentions that trike thing, they don't get a smiley response!!!

Thanks for any input  :)
AbzWayne
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:28 pm

[quote]Sorry to point this out, but these links don't seem to work for me !!

Regarding the idea of the post, what would be a good starter aircraft to use as a base for the learning of navigation and then Radio use within FSX ??

PS: If anyone mentions that trike thing, they don't get a smiley response!!!

Thanks for any input
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight School