Throttle question for Twin Pilots

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Throttle question for Twin Pilots

Postby snippyfsxer » Tue May 24, 2011 11:30 pm

I have 2 Saitek throttle quadrants side by side.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Tue May 24, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Re: Throttle question for Twin Pilots

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed May 25, 2011 12:00 pm

I start this declaring I'm no twin pilot... nor pilot at all, if not of simulators, sadly, for matter of money... :( ...but it's quite a renown fact that IRL there is no engine that is perfectly 100% similar to another. Between two very same model of engine, built in the same factory, in about the same timeframe, and kept efficient in the very same manner, you'll find ALWAYS operational differences, and these differences translates in very rarely having throttle axis lined up, like so very often happens in the various sims.

And if you keep in mind that prop governors and carburettors are similarly NOT 100% similar one to the other of the same kind, just like engines, props and mixture controls follow the same rule.

There's no really "acceptable differences" written on paper that I know of (and if there is, it is expected it should change between a plane and another). If an engine begins straying too much from the expected parameters, it simply means it needs to overhauled, but unless you use some complex payware with very complex damage modules that work per engine, I don't think you need to worry about this.

The various simulators for PC (all of them) give often a very unrealistic response to single axis throttle commanding multiple engines, like so often happens when using a joystick with a small throttle controller like mine, but being non professional softwares, consistency is often preferred over perfect simulation (and it makes the coding easier too). Consistency that IRL rarely, if ever happens.

Of course in YOUR case, you may fall straight into the rule that no throttle control is perfectly 100% similar to another of the same kind (yes, the rule is valid for PC throttles too :P), and using two different throttle levers to command an engine each, you have surely a more realistic response than... than me, for example. I wouldn't really begrudge that, was I in your shoes. ;)
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby snippyfsxer » Wed May 25, 2011 1:50 pm

There's no really "acceptable differences" written on paper that I know of (and if there is, it is expected it should change between a plane and another). If an engine begins straying too much from the expected parameters, it simply means it needs to overhauled, but unless you use some complex payware with very complex damage modules that work per engine, I don't think you need to worry about this.

I frequently do use complex payware with individual engine modelling.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Wed May 25, 2011 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Strategic Retreat » Wed May 25, 2011 3:25 pm

In Real Life every plane engine comes with a servicing history of every part it is composed of. Not only that, but a flight crew taking command of a plane WOULD have received some sort of warning from the crew going off duty about an engine misbehaving. It is quite simple, with this knowledge to glean where the fault of the system is more liable to be. :-/

In the sims, usually you don't have a servicing history of your plane, or even only the engines... every time you start they are brand new, and similarly, you do not have a crew going off duty to tell you if the plane you're about to take up in the air has one or more faults. :P

Limitations of the system. We all have to accept them. Even your engineer, cute as it is, must make due with not having opposable thumbs. ;) :D
Last edited by Strategic Retreat on Wed May 25, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such a thing as overkill. Only unworthy targets.
Strategic Retreat
Captain
Captain

Postby snippyfsxer » Wed May 25, 2011 3:55 pm

Limitations of the system.

I'm actually not seeing it is a limitation.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Wed May 25, 2011 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Brett_Henderson » Wed May 25, 2011 5:51 pm

Awwwww..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Thu May 26, 2011 2:59 am

In every twin I've flown, the throttles or power levers have not been perfectlly lined up while the engines are at the same power setting.
Last edited by -Crossfire- on Thu May 26, 2011 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby snippyfsxer » Thu May 26, 2011 7:09 pm

the levers might be in-line at 21", but not 25" of manifold-pressure

In every twin I've flown, the throttles or power levers have not been perfectlly lined up while the engines are at the same power setting.

Thank you, gentlemen.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Thu May 26, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Return to Flight School