Fear Of Heights.......

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Fear Of Heights.......

Postby remyadrian » Sat Dec 14, 2002 10:31 pm

hi guys. i have a question for u airline pilots out there....is having fear of heights an important criteria or factor in becoming a pilot or in other words can a person be a pilot if he/she is afraid of heights?? i hope u guys will help me answer this question bcoz i really really want to be a pilot. it has been my ambition to be one since i was young n i hope it wont destroy my dreams of bcoming one just bcoz im afraid of heights... :'(
remyadrian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Fear Of Heights.......

Postby Craig. » Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:49 am

firstly welcome to simv . now on to the question, i to have wanted to be an airline pilot all my life and i to have small cases of fear of heights but thats mainly when i am say standing on a building  roof or something like that. have you been up on a plane if so does was it bad then? i have found when i am up there in my lessons i dont have any problems, as for selection i haven't seen a single thing about fear of heights in the requirements so it shouldnt be a problem.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby remy adrian » Sun Dec 15, 2002 11:55 am

thanx again 4 the quick reply.That was a relief to hear from u........now i can go on to fulfil my dream of bcoming n airline pilot!! :)
remy adrian

Postby Craig. » Sun Dec 15, 2002 12:03 pm

good luck with it maybe see you up there some day:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Deputy » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:59 am

Unfourtionatly, yes, a fear of heights can reduce the chance of getting your private pilot certificate, however, we can work with you.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Stratus_Fractus » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:55 pm

I have a slight case of being afraid of heights, but in a plane it all goes away. Be it FL390 or 3000. No idea why this happens, but it's good that it does.  :D
Greg
Stratus_Fractus
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby wolfpack27278 » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:03 am

no the fear of heights wont hurt you in any way, Im afraid of heights but not when enclosed....... hmmm

Todays Quote:
"People say death isnt real or that death doesnt matter, well death is real, and whatever it is it matters" Some important writer  ;D
A Poem From My Heart
wolfpack27278
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Wed Jan 22, 2003 5:41 pm

its strange how it works really. i personally have no problem being at 30000 feet infact i love it but i cant be on top of a 12 story building and look down without feeling sick, and theres no way i can look up when on said building
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Deputy » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:34 am

Quite honestly, everyone has a fear of heights. The issue really is how much it affects you. People have a 'fight or flight' characteristic which really depends on how you were raised. If you fight, you are more likely to be a good canidate as a pilot. The reason is simple. The emotions of a person who is programed to fight will have more control of emotions. A 'flight' person will tend to have a higher risk of irrational decisions, possibly causing a crash. If you are a 'flight' person, dont let this discourage you, we (all flight schools) are really willing to help you overcome this obstacle.
Last edited by Deputy on Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Rifleman » Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:39 am

if you check into the history books....one of the most famous of all fliers in the world was pukin' his guts out on his first flight......and he went on to fly the highest performance aircraft for 60 yrs, and this is the truth.....how about Oct 14, 1947 ?
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby MattNW » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:18 pm

You might want to give an introductory ride a try. Often being afraid of heights doesn't translate into a cockpit. I hate going up on a ladder but I'm perfectly comfortable in an aircraft, even small helecopters with the bubble canopy.

Make sure you do it with an understanding instructor however and make sure he or she knows so they can bring the plane back if you do panic. There seems to be a difference between fear of flying and fear of heights. Some pilots are shakey looking off a tall building while perfectly comfortable at 30,000 ft while high steel workers can be terrified of just being in an airplane sitting on the ground.

Just take it slow and easy until you know how you react.
In Memory of John Consterdine (FS Tipster)1962-2003
MattNW
Major
Major

Postby Deputy » Sun Mar 30, 2003 9:49 pm

You might want to give an introductory ride a try. Often being afraid of heights doesn't translate into a cockpit. I hate going up on a ladder but I'm perfectly comfortable in an aircraft, even small helecopters with the bubble canopy.

Make sure you do it with an understanding instructor however and make sure he or she knows so they can bring the plane back if you do panic. There seems to be a difference between fear of flying and fear of heights. Some pilots are shakey looking off a tall building while perfectly comfortable at 30,000 ft while high steel workers can be terrified of just being in an airplane sitting on the ground.

Just take it slow and easy until you know how you react.

I couldn't say more. Matt has it perfect. You wan't to make sure your instructor knows that you have a fear of heights. It is important to know, because even the introductory flight, you are doing a lot of hands-on flying.

-Brad

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Deputy
Major
Major

Postby BE58D » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:32 pm

I am not reading the rest of the posts... But, I have a fear of heights myself... But, flying has no effect on me... I love it and wouldn't trade it for all the money in the world!
HP Pavillion = p7-1233w
3.20GHz Processor
24GB of RAM (Windows 7 Home Premium only allows for 16GB though) :'(
Radeon 7560D - 4059MB
1TB SATA Internal Hard Drive
BE58D
Major
Major

Postby zeberdee » Sun Oct 26, 2003 6:19 am

Hi all I was and still am scared of hights, I was doing cavity wall insulation on a ladder and "froze" about 10-12 feet up! that was 15 years ago. On friday 13th Sept 2002 I had my first EVER flight, 30 min trail from Blackpool (UK), there were winds gusting upto26Kts. The instructor let me taxi the Piper PA28 to the runway, he then did the mag checks got clearance and told me to take the yolk! he lined us up on the runway hit the power I pulled back at 70Kts indicated then the air turned blue! I wanted to LAND and NOW!! I was allmost too scared to look anywhere but instruments at 500 feet we turned, the turbulance was bad. After being buffeted around for 10 - 15 mins we came into land, having got upto 1000 feet, when we landed I wanted to go up again!
I have flown twice since from Blackpool, a one hour flight up to the lakes at 2700feet (the view is awsome) and another 30 min, upto 2000 feet and this time I landed the plane (only one bounce), both times I got "butterflies" on take off but then the thrill of flying took over. If you've read this far my advice is go for it have a30 min trial I doubt if you will regret it ;D ;D
If your not part of the answer    your part of the problem!  
I've often wanted to drown my troubles, but I can't get my wife to go swimming.
zeberdee
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Agamer » Mon Oct 27, 2003 4:51 am

wow I never reliasaded that there are so many real pilots on simv
FS9 rules
Agamer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight School