Fear Of Heights.......

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Re: Fear Of Heights.......

Postby RitterKreuz » Sat Nov 01, 2003 3:33 am

General Charles Yeager affraid of heights? October 14th 1947 put the man in the history books for sure. It is quite an achievement to go from puking rookie to first man to break the sound barrier in the Bell X-1.

Just for braggin rights...

I have recently aquired a mahogany model of the Bell X-1 with the autographed right wing "Charles Yeager" acompanied by the model is a glossy color photo on kodak gold of him completing his signature.

Im scared shiznitless of heights while standing on anything much taller than 4 feet... but stick me in an airplane and for some reason it is not a problem.

explain that?
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Postby C » Tue Nov 04, 2003 9:41 am

I always find i'm very happy with a parachute on my back (or an ejector seat...). Up until I'm high enough to use the parachute, and if I'm not concentrating on something else (lookout, t's & p's and so on), I really hope the wings/tail etc aren't going to fall off, as I'd be in a bit of a mess. Above that height I'm fine, as theoretically I could use the parachute. On the way back down I find I'm busy enough not to even notice (and i've gained enough confidence that the wings/tail etc aren't going to fall off), and I'm ok then too.

I hate being on tall buildings though...

Charlie
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby remyadrian » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:21 am

hello guys.wow this post is ancient.just for everyone's information i am now a fully fledged Boeing 737-400 co-pilot with a top airline in South East Asia and am currently doing the conversion to the Boeing 737NGs=)so yeah dont let that fear hinder you from going all out to achieve your dream!cheers!
remyadrian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:02 am

hello guys.wow this post is ancient.just for everyone's information i am now a fully fledged Boeing 737-400 co-pilot with a top airline in South East Asia and am currently doing the conversion to the Boeing 737NGs=)so yeah dont let that fear hinder you from going all out to achieve your dream!cheers!

Come a long way?....^ ^ ^ ^

...if this is for real?.. ;).... ;)....>>>>

Hi guys!! im adrian n can u help me out here? im a big fan of FS games n i might just be a real pilot one day so can u guys teach me how to land an airplane ?? i've tried a few times but it came out unsuccesful.this is really annoying coz thats the only part left for me to master b4 i can really enjoy my flying experience.Hope u guys can help me out! Thanx again!! :o

Paul....G-BPLF..FS 2004...FS Nav... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby olderndirt » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:31 am

Chalk up another pilot with a fear of heights.
Last edited by olderndirt on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:21 pm

I have absolutely no fear of heights, whatsoever...

...providing that my feet are planted firmly on Mother Earth... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]....!

"Gravity" is always the major drawback when it comes to "Heights"... :o....!

Gravity at ground level is always best... :)...!

Paul....Levitating... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby HawkSpeedSix » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:53 pm

...providing that my feet are planted firmly on Mother Earth...

How tall are you Paul? ;)
HawkSpeedSix
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:00 pm

...providing that my feet are planted firmly on Mother Earth...

How tall are you Paul? ;)

12 Inches, +- 1 Inch....lying down... :)...!

Paul...I just measured myself... 8-)...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Steve M » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:27 pm

Just saw this, after so many years..  ::) Fear of hieghts is conquered by time and the minds ability to adjust. Every morning, (for the last 5 months) I climb into the basket of an 80 foot articulated snorkle lift. The first hour or so my brain is screaming "Danger" and my muscles stiffen up in the brace mode. Yes, as one post said, don't look straight up as you lose the horizon line. Don't look down, look at the horizon.. Usually after an hour or so the fear subsides. Of course that fear, is much, much better than no fear at all.  :)   
Steve M
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:11 pm

[quote]Just saw this, after so many years..
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby machineman9 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:20 pm

Despite this being a massive necro, my 2 cents:

I hate heights*
I don't particularly like flying on commercial aircraft**

...Yet I want to become a military pilot.

*Having something strapped to me (parachute, climbing rope, etc) is absolutely fine. I trust those systems to work. Standing on the edge of a cliff is an entirely different matter

**Fear of terrorism more than anything else. I don't have an anxiety attack and I don't break a sweat, it's probably not strong enough to be called a fear, but it's a thought that remains in the back of my head.
Last edited by machineman9 on Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
machineman9
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:48 pm

I think humans just have a old
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fozzer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:02 am

In airplanes, where wings bring safety with height, I crave altitude... doesn't bother me at all.

The opposite can/must be said for Helicopters...(sans wings).... ;)....!

Paul.... ;D...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby remyadrian » Sat Aug 07, 2010 5:02 am

@ Fozzer..yeah those were the days..couldn't even remember that post on how to land the aircraft ;D

well those days are behind me now,all i can say is its a joy to be up there in the skies..there's no other feeling like it..will be flying on the right hand seat of a Boeing 737-800 tomorrow to RPLL..cheers folks! ;)
remyadrian
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby SaultFresh » Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:16 pm

I believe the fear of heights vs. flying an airplane situation to be interesting. It seems that everywhere I go, there are more pilots scared of heights (including myself), than there are pilots not afraid of heights. Yet, when in an airplane, one would never know the difference. I believe this has to do more with a fear of falling, than with altitude itself. I know that if I stand at the edge of a cliff, I may fall off, but if I'm securely strapped into an airplane, I most likely won't.
SaultFresh
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Flight School