Tail spin

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Tail spin

Postby Beavatron » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:16 am

I can take any FS aircraft I have, get it in a turn and cut the power back until it stalls, but I can't get a FS aircraft into a tail spin no matter how hard I try. Is this an oversight by the FS developers? I think they must have designed it so all wing surfaces behave in accordance to the "indicated airspeed" and there's only one point on the aircraft (or no point at all) where speed is measured. In real life, a tail spin results when you're in a tight turn and your inner wing stalls before the outer wing. To recover, in most cases, you neutral all controls and give it full throttle.
Has anybody else noticed that tail spins are impossible in FS? I'm talking about FS9, ... do any FSX users know if they've corrected this?
Beavatron
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Tail spin

Postby DaveSims » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:54 am

Most aircraft in FS are hard if  not impossible to spin, although there are a few aircraft available that have been made to spin.  I used to have  a Citabria in FS9 that would spin, but I don't remember who made it.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Beavatron » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:56 am

Hmm... Citabria.  "Airbatic" spelled backwards. Good memories. When I was 14 my neighbor had one. That's what I learned to fly in.
Beavatron
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Might I suggest lesson 15 in my old aerobatics tutorial (under the FS2k4 section) http://www.simviation.com/fsdhelp.htm
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby -Crossfire- » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:46 pm

Just a a side note..... it's just called a spin.  I tail spin would be something different.   ;)

The Realair 172 update can spin with realism sliders set to full.  Freeware i do believe...
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby Romflyer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:30 pm

As mentioned earlier there are not many planes in FS that actually will do a spin.....realair 172, C150 (the excellent french one), Long Island classics (Christenson eagle and  Aeronca champ) these are the few noteable ones that come to mind for FS9.

Also, it sounds like your entry method for a spin could use a little......research  ;) try cutting throttle and slowly pulling back on the controls while the plane slows to a stall, when it wont fly anymore then kick a pedal and hold both the control column back and the rudder fully deflected (hold aileron nuetral).......and hold on!  :D keep an eye on the airspeed indicator, it shouldnt rise up much above the stall speed of the AC.........when your ready to recover hit full rudder in the opposite direction of the yaw then lower the nose to break the stall and open up the throttle......... and your back to flying  8-)

Have fun

PS. dont try it below 3000' - 4000'   ::)
Romflyer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby EVVFCX » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:03 am

I do like this ;) whats all this about throttle.

My only spin excercise that I had to do before going solo was about 3 1/2 turns and a vertical drop of around 800 feet.

Now then I couldn't put throttle on - I was in a K13 glider
Last edited by EVVFCX on Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the Mynd be with you.
So far my number of landings either passenger or pilot equal my number of takeoffs.

FSX Gold Acc, P3D V4, FS2020
EVVFCX
Captain
Captain

Postby Grant06 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:02 pm

[quote]As mentioned earlier there are not many planes in FS that actually will do a spin.....realair 172, C150 (the excellent french one), Long Island classics (Christenson eagle and
Grant06
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight School