Twins or Not?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Twins or Not?

Postby New Light » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:23 am

Last edited by New Light on Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Twins or Not?

Postby Brett_Henderson » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 am

The key skill difference for flying twins, is mastering single engine (engine out) flight... the basics are the same... aside from the higher performance to get used to.

If your primary instructor was the guy who preached, "pitch for Vyse" after rotation (instead of Vy), he's laying the multi-engine foundation. Just like tapping the brakes and saying out loud "gear up", even when flying a fixed gear airplane, you get that stuff drilled into your reflexes.

( Vyse is the climb speed for a twin when an engine fails on takeoff )

Also, from a pilot's perspective, the only real concern about turbo-charging, is knowing the different MP/RPM relationships (the default Mooney is turbo-charged).. or if it's just turbo-normalization (turbo for maintaing sea-level MP to higher altitudes, not turbo for more HP), knowing how to manage that.

The TwinStar is an ideal, ME trainer..   8-)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby JoBee » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:54 pm

[quote]
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby DaveSims » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:47 pm

Well if you are a single engine pilot, just use one engine at a time and you will be ok.  ;)

I have often found it amusing that so much of the time spent learning to fly twins, is flown with one engine.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:15 am

[quote]Well if you are a single engine pilot, just use one engine at a time and you will be ok.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby snippyfsxer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:12 pm

[quote][quote]Well if you are a single engine pilot, just use one engine at a time and you will be ok.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:16 pm

There's a good freeware 310 out there.. good VC, and very realistic flight dynamics  ;)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:42 am

Good morning Dave... ;)

The information in the above replies is very good and informative.

Now if you would like I shall give you my two cents worth.

Freeware....Freeware....Freeware

This is probably one of the best freeware downloads available.
I do believe it is also available here in the Simviation Downloads.

http://www.rikoooo.com/en/flight-simula ... n-fsx.html

When I started flying probably before you were born I started on the DeHavilland Tiger Moth, flew the DeHavilland of Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk and then the North American Harvard for single engine training and all in several months.
For Multi-engine we flew the Avro Anson and the Beech Expeditor or the civilian version the Beech18.

All the above aircraft were used at civilian flying and military flying schools right up to the late 70s I think.

I put quite a few hours on the Expeditor/Beech18 on wheels, floats and amphibs.
Last edited by Flying Trucker on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby snippyfsxer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm

Flying Trucker, trust me, I'm not trying to start an argument :)

The only problem I see with the freeware Beech 18 is that it doesn't seem to simulate the effects of flying on one engine very well.
Last edited by snippyfsxer on Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snippyfsxer
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby Flying Trucker » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:29 pm

To "snippyfsxer"

As we are talking about flight simulated aircraft versus real aircraft you are probably correct.

I have not spent much time on simulated flights in FS2004 or FSX and have used the questionable simulated aircraft in flights without any engine failures most of the time.
I use the Microsoft Flight Simulator Games as Instrument Training most of the time, however I do like to do a little low and slow VFR Flying in different forms from time to time.

When I post a reply it is usually based on my experience with real aircraft and not based on FS2004 or FSX aircraft.

It is wonderful to have folks like you to correct folks like me as there is a very large difference between real aviation and simulated aviation.

There is a lesson here which I have learned from your post, before commenting on a simulated aircraft, make dam sure we as real pilots do not give advice on a simulated aircraft until we have tested and flown that simulated aircraft in all aspects of flight.
That is most important and only fair to all members.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention, I shall be more attentive to my future posts.... ;)

Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby patchz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:52 pm

I can't speak to the realism and Brett and others have covered that anyway. My 2 cents is about the Twin Star. It is a very nice little model, but the textures are a bit hard on frame rates if you are already running a bit low. The other thing is, it is very light and gets blown around 'a lot' in winds when the AP is not engaged.
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby New Light » Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Last edited by New Light on Mon Feb 21, 2011 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DaveSims » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:23 pm

[quote]
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:48 pm

Hi Dave... :)

I spent some time on FSX this morning flying the Milton Shupe Beech 18 on amphibious floats and did some one engine out procedures.

The aircraft is very docile and does not simulate single engine failure very well, just as "snippyfsxer" mentioned.

As you are looking for single engine out realism this would not be the aircraft for you.  However, it is a very very nice piece of freeware, fun to fly and keeps you fairly occupied on short hops into and out of bush camps.

Having no Payware until I get a motion simulator I can't think of anything else other than what has been suggested in the above posts.

I can tell you that I have had no luck in trying to use FS2004 aircraft in FSX.  Lots of problems doing that and many disappointing results.

Good luck and have fun... ;)

Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby New Light » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:54 pm

Hey Doug,

I still appreciate your thoughts and inputs, especially with your real world experierences. I think the Beech 18 and V35 are among the most interesting and beautiful aircraft ever made. In fact, I use them as some of my AI traffic, and they really spice things up  :)

Davysims,

Thanks for the training advice!

Any other advice or knowledge will also be appreiciated. Thanks!

Semper Fi, Dave
New Light
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight School