cowl flaps

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

cowl flaps

Postby DenisH » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:14 pm

In flying piston aircraft, when should cowl flaps be deployed? How does a pilot determine when to open and shut them and how does he/she determine what percentage of flap should be used?
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: cowl flaps

Postby Polar_Lion » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:38 pm

I use to have a clipboard sheet that would go on the kneeboard for FS2002/FS2004 and CFS2. it stated some rough guidelines for cowl flap usage.

here is a site that gives a good explanation of what the cowl flaps do and usage.

http://stoenworks.com/Tutorials/Cowl%20 ... e%20C.html

from what i remember most of the time in combat aircraft the flaps would be closed for performance reasons. but at different speeds and or altitude(and temp enviroments) you would open them to help cool the engine.

Planes like the FW-190 had a fan behind the prop to help with engine cooling so cowl flaps weren't as important. American and Japanese had thier own usage.

thats all i can remember. give the site a once over as it pertains to all aircraft not just the old CFS ones that i fly :)
Hope it helps.
Last edited by Polar_Lion on Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose."
-Tom Krause
Polar_Lion
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DenisH » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:43 pm

Polar: Thanks for the tip.
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby -Crossfire- » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:06 pm

For most GA twins, having them open for takeoff and closed for cruise/descent/landing works fine.  Depending on the ouside air temp, this should keep the CHT's in the green.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Return to Flight School