Reducing speed in thin air

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Reducing speed in thin air

Postby DenisH » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:09 am

I'm flying the Pilatus PC 12 regularly (FSX) and only difficulty I have is slowing in thin air from, say, 280 knts at 12,000 feet or more. The Pilatus doesn't have spoilers or speed brakes that I can find in the PM and the only method that works for me  is to cut power and stand the aircraft on its tail. I don't think this is how it's done by seasoned pilots of which I am not. Can anyone offer any guidance. I know this is rather an elementary Q and maybe this is unique to the Pilatus  (Flight 1 model).
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Reducing speed in thin air

Postby RitterKreuz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am

Some planes are known to be pretty "slick" or "slippery" in that they are difficult to slow down. (I dont know if the PC-12 fits the category or not)

of all the planes i have flown that are slick... i have never had to stand any of them on their tail to slow down.

Most planes will slow at a relatively noticeable rate when you cut the power to flight idle.

One technique you might try is pulling the power to idle, while pushing the prop lever full forward. This is a technique used in real airplanes as this causes more drag against the prop blades and helps slow the aircraft down. In some aircraft, the effect is quite noticeable and is similar to the feeling you get when putting medium pressure on the brakes of your car.

pull the power to flight idle
push the prop RPM to maximum (full forward prop lever)
hold the altitude as best as you can with no descent if possible

you are pretty much out of the envelope for flap and gear extension, and you don't have spoilers. so what i suggested above is more or less all you can do in the scenario you are describing.

It sounds to me like something is wrong with the aircraft itself in FS
Last edited by RitterKreuz on Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:42 am

I was actually just flying the Flight 1 PC-12 in FS9... I found that if you pull the power to idle, it will slow down quite nicely, even while descending.  Most 4-bladed turboprops will slow down at idle...

The King Air 100 with Raisbeck 4 blade props will drop out of the sky at idle  ;D  You have to keep a little power on while landing.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby RitterKreuz » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 am

thats what makes me think there is a problem with the file.

he is using the FSX Flight 1 PC12... never tried it myself, but it seems like flight idle should slow you pretty quickly
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Postby reachva » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:51 pm

I usually fly larger twin props though my technique for slowing down in situations like this is to use the mentioned propeller pitch techniques and in more extreme situations I've had to side-slip the aircraft to use the airframe itself to increase drag.
reachva
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby XxRazgrizxX » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:39 pm

most turbo props can use reverse thrust in mid air, i do it all the time with my C-130. Slows down quite nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Razgriz100000
XxRazgrizxX
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby RitterKreuz » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:26 am

in more extreme situations I've had to side-slip the aircraft to use the airframe itself to increase drag.

typically turbine aircraft shouldn't be side slipped. The risk of inadvertent engine failure exceeds the benefit of slipping. Or at least that was the airline's policy. Depending on the realism a simmer is going for one might want to avoid slipping turbines - but thats only for the hard core realism gurus

most turbo props can use reverse thrust in mid air, i do it all the time with my C-130. Slows down quite nicely.

Some can, some can't there are arguments for and against this. I knew a guy in an early king air that did it frequently until he was asked "What happens when one or both engines doesnt come out of reverse?" thats an excellent question.

Or take the SAAB 340 for example... catastrophic engine failure will result if reverse thrust is achieved in flight. (SAABs are now equipped with a flight idle stop to prevent this due to an accident wherein a pilot attempted to use reverse in flight) again... depending on what your realism preference - going into reverse thrust in flight might be "cheating"  ;D - but there are aircraft that can do this, like you said.

just my .02
Last edited by RitterKreuz on Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Postby reachva » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:51 am

Thank you RitterKreuz, I didn't know that.
I only slip the aircraft when I have absolutely no other choice (I've only ever done it in the sim when I had a twin engine failure and was too high on approach while flying an ERJ-145)
reachva
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby DenisH » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:37 am

Very helpful. Thanks, all.
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby -Crossfire- » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:46 pm

Ritter commented on this nicely....

But I would just like to say.... most turboprops CANNOT be reversed in flight.... and pilots are just flirting with disaster if they try it.  Of course, in the sim world, everything is open to experimentation...  ;D
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby XxRazgrizxX » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:34 pm

i didn't mean in real life, but in the sim if you really need to slow down quickly, Most "FSX" turboprops can reverse in mid air, obviously you wouldn't do it in real life...unless you looking for a challenge :-?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Razgriz100000
XxRazgrizxX
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby RitterKreuz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:50 pm

i know what you meant... i only made the real life implication not knowing how much he was into realism.  :D
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Postby patchz » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:07 pm

[color=#000000]Or you could just open the door and drag your foot. ::)

Personally, I use reverse thrust. It's a sim that I fly for fun. If I want realism that bad, I'll go get a license. Come to think of it, a license could be paid for by what a lot of us spend on hardware and software. ::)
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DenisH » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:01 pm

More realistic the better. I still wonder how this program can be called  a "game".  It's far from that, imho.
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jeph » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:39 am

The Gulfstream III that NASA uses as the Shuttle Trainer Aircraft (STA) has been heavily modified so that it can lower only the mains in flight, can deploy the thrust reversers without weight-on-wheels, and a few other "cheats" to replicate the space shuttle orbiter's behavior. Pretty cool stuff!  8-)
Jeph
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight School