Flight plan question..

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Flight plan question..

Postby Air Vandalay » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:49 am

Hello, a relative newbie here...

I've been using FSX for a few months now, and I've been flying VFR using multiple waypoints (IFR got on my nerves with all the zig-zagging)..my question to you actual licensed pilots is: is there a criteria for selecting a waypoint? are there restrictions on some of them? (speed, altitude) please enlighten me..
Air Vandalay
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Flight plan question..

Postby RitterKreuz » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:42 am

Thats a good question.

In real life aircraft will navigate by GPS or they will use VOR High Altitude Airways called Jet Routes, or they may use low altitude airways called Victor Routes.

as for restrictions, many of these routes from VOR to VOR will have minimum en route altitudes, Maximum authorized altitudes, and intersections or VORs may have minimum crossing altitudes.

occasionally you can see speed restrictions, but sometimes ATC will waive the restriction when it is not busy... you mostly see restrictions of this sort on arrival procedures.

depending on the length of the journey, work load of the controller, and other factors, you can use GPS direct for IFR or VFR navigation.

VFR navigation, for the most part is always going to be GPS direct in MSFS.

IFR Navigation, for a realistic experience, should zig zag to some extent, but the thing MSFS does not simulate is "short cuts".

heres what i mean: usually, as you get en route in real life you might have a route segment that takes you a little out of the way... workload permitting and traffic permitting, the controller may cut that segment from your route, instead offering something better, or if he doesnt... you could always ask for an amendment to your route and most times you will get it.

for all of the MSFS limitations where flight planning is concerned, i always just use GPS direct because it is so hard to simulate requests and route changes of the sort you might receive in reality.
Last edited by RitterKreuz on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:05 am

Hello, a relative newbie here...

I've been using FSX for a few months now, and I've been flying VFR using multiple waypoints (IFR got on my nerves with all the zig-zagging)..my question to you actual licensed pilots is: is there a criteria for selecting a waypoint?

I think Ritter has been doing too much flying "in the system"... he's left out some things.
Last edited by beaky on Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby RitterKreuz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:00 pm

I guess my reply more responded to IFR rather than VFR :D

i suppose my point is... dont be afraid to fly IFR in the sim simply due to the "inconvenience" of having to fly VOR to VOR.

just select GPS routing and you are good to go.

;)
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Return to Flight School