IMC: Another tip for the Flight School...

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

IMC: Another tip for the Flight School...

Postby Fozzer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:48 am

http://205.252.250.26/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaB ... 460465/0#4

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...FS Nav...and a Weather Watcher... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: IMC: Another tip for the Flight School...

Postby olderndirt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:26 am

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...FS Nav...and a Weather Watcher... 8-)...!
Cumulus Granitus - associated with extremely lousy flying conditions.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:45 pm

AFAIK, the most common form of CFIT occurs on approaches  departures, and missed approaches, not so much in cruise flight, so extra altitude isn't much help there. The cause is usually a combination of increased work load, "get-there-itis" and pilot or equipment error. Double-check the nav and autopilot settings, make sure the plane is doing what you want it to do, and whenever possible, know where you are by dead reckoning.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby olderndirt » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:01 pm

This type of flying requires intimate knowledge of the terrain.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 am

Height:

My problem/error in the Sim, is having lots of fun flying at low level (500-1000 Feet AGL) in Mountainous regions, admiring the scenery all around me.
Should the weather suddenly deteriorate without warning, limiting visibility, etc, all directions, or I suffer an engine, etc, malfunction, I don't have sufficient height to get out of trouble, one way or another!

(I suspect Steve Fossett ran into this problem in the Sierra Nevada Mountains).

The glory of "Invincibility" in the Sim...which unfortunately doesn't exist in real life!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...FS Nav...and nine lives?... ::).... ;)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby olderndirt » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:50 pm

Height:

My problem/error in the Sim, is having lots of fun flying at low level (500-1000 Feet AGL) in Mountainous regions, admiring the scenery all around me.
Should the weather suddenly deteriorate without warning, limiting visibility, etc, all directions, or I suffer an engine, etc, malfunction, I don't have sufficient height to get out of trouble, one way or another!

The glory of "Invincibility" in the Sim...which unfortunately doesn't exist in real life!

Paul, I get the impression that regardless of simulator or real life, you'd still prefer to be down close to the trees so you could see what was going on.
Last edited by olderndirt on Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:04 am

Height:

Paul, I get the impression that regardless of simulator or real life, you'd still prefer to be down close to the trees so you could see what was going on.

Its an quite education as to what goes on secretly amongst the seclusion of trees, especially in heavily populated areas!.... :-*...!

Balloonists are treated to the sound effects, as well.... :o...!

Paul... ;D... ;D... ;D...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DaveSims » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Height:

I believe the pervailing theory on Fossett's crash was he may have gotten caught in a mountain wave that swept him into the side of the hill.  Winds were reported to be fairly strong in that area, and conditions would have been ripe to create such a phenomenom.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby DenisH » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:55 pm

Birds and bees lurk beneath the trees doing heaven knows what! 
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School