Pushback...

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Pushback...

Postby Andy7212 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:29 pm

I'm having a little trouble with pushing back (usually from a gate at an airport). The Learning Center says to press Shift+P to begin pushback. Works fine. Then it says to press 1 for tail left or 2 for tail right. However, these don't always work. I've tried it about 8-ish times, but it has only worked once. Any idea on why this is happening?

(I use Windows 7 with FSX and try it on a CRJ-700)

Thanks in advance.
Andy7212
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Pushback...

Postby RickG » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Are you pushing 1 or 2 quite quickly after shift p? It needs to be done pretty much all at the same time.
Win7 Home Premium X64, Sabertooth Z77 mobo, i7 3770K@3.5 ghz, 8gb ram, Samsung 840PRO SSD,& WD hdd's
RickG
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:24 am

After you have pressed Shift + "P", then quickly, either "1" or "2", wait a little while for the Aircraft to reverse, and then turn by itself.

Don't expect the Aircraft to turn immediately!... ;)....!

Press Shift + "P"  to halt the process.

Patience... ;D...!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...FS Nav... 8-)...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RickG » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:28 am

I have noticed tho, that the larger the aircraft, the longer it will go straight back before turning.
Win7 Home Premium X64, Sabertooth Z77 mobo, i7 3770K@3.5 ghz, 8gb ram, Samsung 840PRO SSD,& WD hdd's
RickG
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Andy7212 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 pm

Ahh...got it now. Thanks everyone for the help.

Before, what I interpreted the instructions was to press Shift-P, then as you're pushing back, to press 1 or 2 to turn the tail :P
Andy7212
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:17 pm

I believe the aircraft travels its full length before turning.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby coalpedlar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:59 am

ANDY
You NEED to download Rob Barengredt's "GROUND HADLING" package.

You can set the distance back before turn, it has sound files w voices, cruise control in taxi, and if activated when on final, it will automatically raise flaps, disengage spoiler when you reach the set taxi speed.

Anyone who doesn't have it is missing a really cool feature.

It's on every one of my aircraft...
coalpedlar
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby coalpedlar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:00 am

"GROUND HANDLING"
sorry
coalpedlar
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby fourbee » Wed Nov 24, 2010 3:19 pm

hmmmm isnt that ever so slightly em. . . "cheating". I mean taking more work off the pilot(you). But i suppose thats more personal opinion.
fourbee
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby RitterKreuz » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:32 am

the GROUND HANDLING thing is for pushback only. I dont think its for taxi and all other ground operations. its not cheating, its actually more realistic i think.

In reality, the pushback is coordinated with the pilot, but he is not in control of the pushback and is pretty much along for the ride at that stage of the flight.

sure, in real life, either the Captain or First Officer can call for a push back to be stopped for any reason they see fit. But in terms of procedure it goes like this. (communications are generally handled via a headset that plugs into the nose gear bay)

Pilot: "Cockpit to ground crew can you hear me?"

Ground Crew: "Yep i got you."

Pilot: "All set up here are you ready for push?"

Ground crew: "We're ready when you are."

Pilot: "Ok brakes are released, you are cleared to push."

the push procedure starts at this point. A good ramp crew will push you out gently, and orient you in the position you need to taxi toward. sometimes they wont turn you at all especially if they have another flight or another gate to work and are in a hurry.

when the push back stops

Ground crew: "Ground to cockpit, set brakes."

Pilot: "Brakes are set you're cleared to disconnect."

ground crew disconnects from the aircraft, removes tow pin if any and hands it through the document hatch to the pilot (this procedure is not necessarily the same for all aircraft)

the GROUND HANDLING package simulates this entire process.
RitterKreuz
Major
Major

Return to Flight School