condition levers

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

condition levers

Postby DenisH » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:31 pm

What are condition levers for and how does a pilot determine their settings?  I fly the Pilatus P-12 daily and set the Condition  lever at ground  idle so the plane doesn't start rolling even with brakes on. I set it full for takeoff and then just arbitrarily ease it off 1/3. Would this be correct for all turbines?  Is it correct at all?  Thanks.
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: condition levers

Postby SeanTK » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:02 pm

Here is an excerpt from another forum. Basically, in the case of an aircraft with an engine type such as the PT-6, as found on Twin Otters, King Airs, etc, it's a fuel flow control lever:

Condition levers control fuel flow. The condition levers in the King Air have 3 positions, Cut-off, Low-Idle, and High-Idle. By moving the condition levers to Low-Idle, you set the engine to idle at a specific speed, moving them to High-Idle allows the engine to idle at a higher speed by introducing a greater constant fuel flow. Low-idle is used for starting and taxi; High-idle is used for normal flight and any time that that extra bleed air is required (such as for the air conditioning with only one engine running). Cut-off is just that, it cuts-off fuel to the engine.

In some other aircraft, such as the ATR series, the condition lever control both fuel flow and prop pitch.

;)
SeanTK

Postby DaveSims » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:17 pm

Your typical PT-6 installation, including the PC-12, will have a throttle, prop control, and condition lever.  The condition lever is as described above.  The only time you would use a reduced setting on the condition lever would be for startup and taxi.  During flight you leave it full forward. 

It is not quite like a mixture control on a piston, as the fuel control on a turbine is automatically adjusted.  You do not have to lean it out as you climb.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby DenisH » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:55 pm

Question answered! Thanks. 
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby C » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:01 am

[quote]Your typical PT-6 installation, including the PC-12, will have a throttle, prop control, and condition lever.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby -Crossfire- » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:55 pm

[quote][quote]Your typical PT-6 installation, including the PC-12, will have a throttle, prop control, and condition lever.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby C » Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:56 pm

[quote]

Yes but in an engine failiure situation... I want to be reaching for something I can FEEL... like the prop lever or condition lever.
Last edited by C on Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby -Crossfire- » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:18 am

Personally, I like the King Air center console... I don't think it's congested at all... but I havn't flown much else.... to each his own  8-)
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby C » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:46 am

[quote]Personally, I like the King Air center console... I don't think it's congested at all... but I havn't flown much else.... to each his own
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:35 pm

Good evening all... :)

I won't mention the DC4s and 6s.

But

I found the Center Console on the Douglas DC3/Dak/C47 wonderful for holding my pipe firmly in place

And

I found the roof mounted control levers on the Consolidated Canso/Catalina/PBY5A great for hanging my head gear on

DANG IT....did I type that all out.... ;D

Cheers...Happy Landings...Doug
Last edited by Flying Trucker on Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Postby DaveSims » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:14 pm

Good evening all... :)

I won't mention the DC4s and 6s.

But

I found the Center Console on the Douglas DC3/Dak/C47 wonderful for holding my pipe firmly in place

And

I found the roof mounted control levers on the Consolidated Canso great for hanging my head gear on

DANG IT....did I type that all out.... ;D

Doug, you either just dated yourself with that post, or you are currently flying boxes around Alaska (since many of those types are still in use there). ;D
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Flying Trucker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Hi Dave... :)

Been retired twenty years or more I guess.

The 4s & 6s were okay, not as much work but I turned down two aircraft that I could have checked out in and flown.
Last edited by Flying Trucker on Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying Trucker
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight School