What dignifies an airfield?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

What dignifies an airfield?

Postby skoker » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:18 pm

Say I wanted to land my plane in a remote area, with plenty of room, would one be able to do so?  I've always wanted to fly a plane to my school, but don't know if ATC will let me! :)

Are there certain restrictions to where you can land?
skoker
Major
Major

Re: What dignifies an airfield?

Postby DaveSims » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Well first you would need the permission of the land owner, if it was the school I would say tough luck.  The next limitation I would expect would be from the owner or insurance company of the aircraft.  They obviously would be reluctant to allow the aircraft to be used at an unproven field.  Usually landing off airport is limited to emergencies, but I do know of a few pilots that have landed in a farmer's field to visit the farmer, and bush pilots do it all the time.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Re: What dignifies an airfield?

Postby coalpedlar » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:48 am

W were flying in a Bell Jet Ranger fro ;Dm Pittsbugh to SW Virginia a few years ago- needed a pit stop for obvious reasons- set down in an empty lot next to Wendy's in Bluefield, WV.

Went in, used the facilities, ordered our food and Police & fire showed up sirens blaring.

When the cop asked why we landed there, we said, "The rotor wouldn't permit us to get close enough to the Drive Through."

The whole place laughed their butts off- esp the girl behind the counter.

We left w/ our food without incident and never heard a word about it.

TRUE STORY!! ;D ;D ;D :D
coalpedlar
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School