I turn off Autopilot and crash and burn.......

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

I turn off Autopilot and crash and burn.......

Postby Seyley » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:53 am

Be grateful for any answers on this simple procedure.....

As I approach a runway, possibly using ILS, I'm all lined up and have about 2 - 3 square hoops to go through, using the Learjet, I'm at a speed of 160 and coming down, flaps at 20, gears down.....

I then press z and the plane takes a dive and I crash and burn....what am I doing wrong?

If I knew what flight director was for and how it could be used, then I would try that. But its so annoying to have my flights end up this way.

Any help appreciated

Steve
Seyley
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: I turn off Autopilot and crash and burn.......

Postby Brett_Henderson » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:35 am

The first thing to do.. is park the jets and climb into the C172..
Last edited by Brett_Henderson on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:07 am

Sounds like your trim was at a strange setting before you disconnect the autopilot.  Hold on to that column tight when you disconnect.  Also, 160kts sounds way to fast for a Learjet on short final.

But like Brett said said, park the jets and master approaches in a prop.  If you still wanna do a coupled ILS approach with autopilot, the 172 can do it beautifully!
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby Staiduk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:39 pm

...and turn off the blasted EFIS! :D

Those rectangles look really cool, but they're a major distraction and totally unneccesary. Look at it this way: if you know how to use a VOR and properly perform an ILS approach, then you don't need EFIS and you're concentrating on those two needles anyway. If you don't know how to fly an instrument approach; then EFIS is just going to get you killed as you chase the rectangles instead of fly the approach. On the rare occasion I do use them - generally on zero-zero approaches into a short strip under heavy icing, turbulence and precip at two in the morning - I use it strictly as verification, rather than as guidance.
Staiduk
Major
Major

Postby Rocket_Bird » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:39 pm

If I knew what flight director was for and how it could be used, then I would try that. But its so annoying to have my flights end up this way.

That's just those little brackets that appear on your primary flight display (the electronic attitude indicator on your plane).  Its like an autopilot, 'cept it doesn't control your plane for you.  If you have your ILS tuned, you just have to keep that little airplane on your attitude indicator centered on those brackets and it should keep your plane on the glideslope and localizer.  Don't forget to control your airspeed, however.  Its really handy for those who like to hand fly ILS approaches on the big heavies like the 747 and still maintain precision.   
Cheers,
RB

Rocket_Bird
Major
Major

Postby -Crossfire- » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:42 pm

...and turn off the blasted EFIS! :D

Those rectangles look really cool, but they're a major distraction and totally unneccesary. Look at it this way: if you know how to use a VOR and properly perform an ILS approach, then you don't need EFIS and you're concentrating on those two needles anyway. If you don't know how to fly an instrument approach; then EFIS is just going to get you killed as you chase the rectangles instead of fly the approach. On the rare occasion I do use them - generally on zero-zero approaches into a short strip under heavy icing, turbulence and precip at two in the morning - I use it strictly as verification, rather than as guidance.

:o :o

Please explain why you would turn of EFIS.  EFIS is not those rectangles, it is an Electonic Flight Istrument System, with essential information needed to fly the particular airplane.  It varies in most aircraft, but the PFD always has the primary flight instruments displayed on it.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby JoBee » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:15 am

EFIS is not those rectangles, it is an Electonic Flight Istrument System,

All due respect, somebody needs to tell Microsoft this.

Open just about any FS9 .flt file with Notepad and you can find something like this -
[EFIS]
Active=False
Mode=VOR
Type=Rectangles
Density=Thin
Range=Short
NavAid=VOR 1
Altitude=0

So it's easy to see how someone could mistake the "Virtual Flight Path" for an EFIS.

regards,
Joe
Don't argue with idiots, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
JoBee
Captain
Captain

Postby topcatin » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:21 am

For a Learjet, land between 125-135 knots. 160 is too high. You may use a little of the speed brakes to reduce your speed here and there on your final but do not extend it fully on final.
topcatin
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Staiduk » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:10 pm

[quote]

:o :o

Please explain why you would turn of EFIS.
Last edited by Staiduk on Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Staiduk
Major
Major

Postby aeroart » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:30 pm

Try taking your airplane to, say, 5000 ft. Set up a simulated normal final approach (gear down, full flaps, final approach speed). Trim the airplane so it maintains the right final approach airspeed and rate of descent, hands-off. Engage the autopilot and let it descend for, say, 1000 ft. Then disengage the autopilot. I think you will see that if the airplane is properly trimmed before you engage the autopilot, it will maintain its trimmed attitude when you disengage the autopilot.

Hope this makes it more fun for you.

Art
aeroart
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby olderndirt » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:48 am

On the rare occasion I do use them - generally on zero-zero approaches into a short strip under heavy icing, turbulence and precip at two in the morning
Too many of these'll make you say almost anything
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Staiduk » Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:11 pm

On the rare occasion I do use them - generally on zero-zero approaches into a short strip under heavy icing, turbulence and precip at two in the morning
Too many of these'll make you say almost anything
Staiduk
Major
Major

Postby Andy Hughes » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:51 pm

Habit I got into when I first started flying real auto pilots is that once I start the approach (before I've even intercepted the glide slope usually) I turn off the autopilot and fly the rest of the way by hand.
Andy Hughes
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby arthurnus » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:43 pm

happens to me all the time when i forgot to trim the ailerons to their standard position before activating autopilot. At the time you press autopilot (on) it will head,climb,speed in the way youve put the autopilot. When you put the autopilot off the ailerons (in your case the ailerons therfore the dive) will automatically set back to the position before you activated the autopilot. So if your ailerons were downwards 30degrees before activating the autopilot they will return to 30degrees downward once you deactivate the autopilot.

in short....

after takeoff you put on autopilot, and remain on autopilot during the whole flight until landing on most ifr flights until you land and have to shut off autopilot. Then it returns to 30degrees downward and at 1000feet you wont have any anticipation to correct that aileron to zero. In real life it would also cause many g's forcing your body to even be unable to handle the steer at all let alone climb back. so make sure when you put on autopilot that your ailerons are set to 0 degrees.
arthurnus
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Fozzer » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:49 pm

happens to me all the time when i forgot to trim the ailerons to their standard position before activating autopilot. At the time you press autopilot (on) it will head,climb,speed in the way youve put the autopilot. When you put the autopilot off the ailerons (in your case the ailerons therfore the dive) will automatically set back to the position before you activated the autopilot. So if your ailerons were downwards 30degrees before activating the autopilot they will return to 30degrees downward once you deactivate the autopilot.

in short....

after takeoff you put on autopilot, and remain on autopilot during the whole flight until landing on most ifr flights until you land and have to shut off autopilot. Then it returns to 30degrees downward and at 1000feet you wont have any anticipation to correct that aileron to zero. In real life it would also cause many g's forcing your body to even be unable to handle the steer at all let alone climb back. so make sure when you put on autopilot that your ailerons are set to 0 degrees.

...don't you mean the "Elevator", which affects "Pitch".... ;)...!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004..FS Nav....getting elevated... 8-)...!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_f ... rol_system
Last edited by Fozzer on Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Next

Return to Flight School