Vacuum Gauge?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Vacuum Gauge?

Postby Fozzer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:26 pm

In my various Motor cars fitted with normally aspirated petrol engines fitted with Carburettors, I often fitted a Vacuum Gauge directly connected/piped to the inlet manifold, to register manifold vacuum.

The Gauge dial was coloured Green, Yellow, and Red and the needle registered the Vacuum in these areas.

For economical cruising the needle should be kept in the green area, with the foot lifted off the throttle (greatest vacuum). Entering the red area indicated the throttle was being pushed down unnecessarily hard (breaking the vacuum), therefore; "wasting fuel!".... :o...!

I wonder if there is a default Sim Vacuum Gauge which does the same job, for normally aspirated, carburettor, Piston engined aircraft?

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...and a 1931 Brooklands Riley 9... 8-)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: Vacuum Gauge?

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:12 pm

Yes.. it's the manifold pressure gauge... though it's background bitmap wont have colored arcs.. it just displays the pressure (or relative vacuum compared to atmospheric pressure)..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:21 pm

Yes.. it's the manifold pressure gauge... though it's background bitmap wont have colored arcs.. it just displays the pressure (or relative vacuum compared to atmospheric pressure)..

...of course!... :)...!

Its the word "Pressure" which is/was fooling me...I was looking for a "Vacuum" Gauge. A "depression" in the Manifold!

Thanks for the reminder, Brett, I will find it useful to fit into simple aircraft which are not fitted with the gauge as standard...
It is a useful fitment to gain an idea of economical performance during flight.

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004....FS Nav....and a gentle tweak of the throttle... 8-)...!

P.S. Some aircraft, (Default Beech Baron 58), are fitted with a small "Suction Gauge", registering + - 5 on the dial. What does that indicate?
Last edited by Fozzer on Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:14 pm

P.S. Some aircraft, (Default Beech Baron 58), are fitted with a small "Suction Gauge", registering + - 5 on the dial. What does that indicate?

That indicates the health of the system which keeps the flight-instrument gyros spinning, be it from an engine-driven vaccuum pump or an external venturi setup.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:41 pm

That indicates the health of the system which keeps the flight-instrument gyros spinning, be it from an engine-driven vaccuum pump or an external venturi setup.

That's a biggie when flying by instruments. Many moons ago, I took off in a C172.. all was well until about 30 seconds into the climb. Earlier that day, a guy changed the battery, and failed to properly re-attach the vacuum hose .. it jiggled loose. It was a beautiful VFR, so no worries.. but when you lose the vacuum, you loose BOTH your heading indicator AND your attitude indicator.

Instrument traning prepares you for this.. and I can tell ya that flying in the clouds without those gauges is mind-bending. And it's why the third gyro-instrument (turn-coordinator), is electric. That, paired with the compass can keep you pointed in the right direction (and assure you that the wings are level).. but you gotta deduce your pitch by by your airspeed and power-setting, and back that up with a vertical speed/altitude.

While we're on the topic of of perilous failures... ponder what would happen if your pitot tube froze over completely, but the static port did not.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:45 am

While we're on the topic of of perilous failures... ponder what would happen if your pitot tube froze over completely, but the static port did not.

Well first you have to figure out what instruments would be affected, in this case, your airspeed indicator.
Last edited by DaveSims on Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby Brett_Henderson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:12 am

Excellent !
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby patchz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:01 am

Just the thought of that, scares the heck out of me. It also causes me to respect those with the intelligence to become a pilot even more.
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby olderndirt » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:29 am

Just the thought of that, scares the heck out of me. It also causes me to respect those with the intelligence to become a pilot even more.
Tempted but I'll let this one go  :D.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby patchz » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:15 pm

Tempted but I'll let this one go
If God intended aircraft engines to have horizontally opposed engines, Pratt and Whitney would have made them that way.
patchz
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:02 pm

[quote]Excellent !
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 pm

Know what's almost worse than a partial panel ?

Flying in the clouds with "working" attitude indicator that has a roll indication that's off by 2 degrees... It short-circuits how put all the other gauges to use... even though you KNOW that it's off.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:11 am

Know what's almost worse than a partial panel ?

Flying in the clouds with "working" attitude indicator that has a roll indication that's off by 2 degrees... It short-circuits how put all the other gauges to use... even though you KNOW that it's off.

Thats why I was always taught to carry post-it notes in your flightbag.  If you have an instrument giving funny readings and can't trust it, cover it up.  A lot easier to do partial panel without a malfunctioning instrument in the scan.  I even flew VFR once with a bad vacuum pump and the instruments still were throwing me off with a tumbling AI and spinning heading.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Return to Flight School