IFR Training Flight Plan.

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

IFR Training Flight Plan.

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:37 am

FS 2004.

Well, what do you know, Chums!

This morning was the first time in over 10 years daily "flying" that I have actually filed an "IFR" Flight Plan in the Sim!
I normally file a "VFR" Flight Plan, General Aviation, and plan my own route, VOR to VOR, NDB to NDB, etc, using ATC; "Flight Following" for help and advice along the route.

Today was a new experience for me, flying under total control of Air Traffic Control, from departure Airfield to arrival Airfield, and obeying all their instructions en route!.

Salinas Muni (KSNS) to Paso Robles (KPRB) in my Beech Baron 58 with its full Bendix-King Radio Stack.

It was only a short journey, 76 Miles, but my time was fully occupied with being guided by ATC, which took me on a complex route which I would not normally have taken in my usual VFR flights!

It worked out marvelously, and certainly kept me on my toes, with all the other various flight activity and Radio chatter going on all around me!

..."Say again"...was my favourite reply over the Radio!

What encouraged me to try it out, was reading some of my excellent FS 2000, Flight Unlimited II, and Pro Pilot '99 Flight Manuals...(Wonderful stuff!).

An excellent learning experience...and...a lot of fun to boot!

Must try it more often...(...as the Bishop said to the Actress!)

Paul..G-BPLF...FS 2004..FS Navigator...Beech Baron 58.....and a very nice Lady Air traffic Controller!..
Last edited by Fozzer on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: IFR Training Flight Plan.

Postby Brett_Henderson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:11 am

Fun stuff
Last edited by Brett_Henderson on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 am

It was a clear blue sky day, mid-day, so as not to complicate things... ;)...!

(I did dial up real local weather via Jeppeson, but as you know, the Sun always shines in California!)... 8-)...!

But I am always amazed at Microsoft's Air Traffic Control System.
It may not be totally realistic, but I think they made a pretty good job of it for we "imaginary" Pilots.... ;D...!

I was surprised how far out of my usual VFR filed flight path ATC kept vectoring me, but they constantly kept track of me via my Transponder and guided me from start to finish.

"Well done", I thought... ;D...!

Mind you....when it comes to inclement weather, I generally stay on the ground until it has passed, during my VFR flights.
...Clouds worry me... ;)... ;D...!

Stage II coming up. Got all the required info on my FS Navigator display!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...FS Nav...poor visibility...and a Homing Pigeon... ;)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brett_Henderson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 am

But I am always amazed at Microsoft's Air Traffic Control System.
It may not be totally realistic, but I think they made a pretty good job of it for we "imaginary" Pilots.... ...!

Agreed..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:35 am

Made it back again from Paso Robles to Salinas, but it did feel strange being constantly vectored at 90* angles, backwards and forwards, at 6,000 feet (low altitude selected), across the Salinas Valley, instead of a direct route up the valley!
Landed OK, Runway 31, using the ILS frequency, and received the usual warm welcome at the Salinas Fuel Pumps.

Time for Tea now!... :)...!

Paul...G-BPLF...FS 2004...FS Nav...and Salmon and Cucumber Sandwiches!... :-*...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby RickG » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:56 am

I agree that flying IFR can be interesting, what with having to follow all the atc directions, but sometimes I wonder if they are on drugs. I certainly have no idea about real life vectoring, but in FSX, they sure seem to send you on a bit of a tour sometimes. Still fun tho.
Win7 Home Premium X64, Sabertooth Z77 mobo, i7 3770K@3.5 ghz, 8gb ram, Samsung 840PRO SSD,& WD hdd's
RickG
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:30 am

One thing I learned today, is to write all the ATC instructions down as they arrive over the Radio, because you only have one attempt at; "Say again" before they are lost, (and so are you!).... :'(...!

That's when the Co-Pilot comes in handy?

Paul...G-BPLF ....FS 2004 ....FS Nav.. Pencil and Paper.... ;)...!
Last edited by Fozzer on Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby olderndirt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 pm

I certainly have no idea about real life vectoring
In real life, a vector from an enroute facility is usually to avoid traffic at your altitude, or to establish a line up into a busy terminal area - an off course vector is always followed by the reason.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Return to Flight School