Signed off for PP-G check ride!

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Signed off for PP-G check ride!

Postby beaky » Thu May 27, 2010 12:39 pm

At last... did some review hops yesterday, and did pretty well. Scheduled to take the ride/oral exam Sunday...  not much work 'til then, so I have time to study some more.
Meanwhile I might try to fly again solo Friday or Saturday just to stay fresh.
I feel ready- should be no problem. Just hope the wx doesn't turn sour...
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Signed off for PP-G check ride!

Postby -Crossfire- » Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 pm

I should probablly know this cause I'm a pilot too....  ;D..... but whats a PPG check ride?  ::)
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby beaky » Thu May 27, 2010 3:18 pm

Practical test for the Private Pilot-Glider certificate.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu May 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Congrats.. a very unique accomplishment ..   :) 

So.. once licensed, you can take a passenger for a ride, right ?
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby olderndirt » Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm

Two things I never did in forty years of flying - never rode in a glider nor a helicopter.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Fri May 28, 2010 3:03 am

So.. once licensed, you can take a passenger for a ride, right ?

Yes, it's just like the PPASEL in that regard... and like a PPASEL, it will allow me to rent a glider for solo flight. It'll also make me eligible to eventually do the commercial and CFI glider ratings.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Brett_Henderson » Fri May 28, 2010 5:11 am

OK then..  there's a very good chance that I'll be flying up that way, late summer / early fall. With any luck, the weather will permit some gliding (or do you call it soaring ?)
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Fri May 28, 2010 7:08 am

OK then..  there's a very good chance that I'll be flying up that way, late summer / early fall. With any luck, the weather will permit some gliding (or do you call it soaring ?)

It depends on conditions... if there's lift, we're soaring. If there's no lift, we're gliding.  ;D

By all means, let me know if and when you might be in this area. I'd be happy to take you for a ride and let you try your hand at flying the 2-33. It can be a little frustrating at first with no glider time, but you'd quickly appreciate its ability to perform. For an older, heavy, draggy design, the 2-33 performs well and is pretty easy to master.

When you fly in, if your descent and approach into 47N is a horrific, headliner-bumping terror ride, that means there will be good soaring.  ;D
Surprisingly, though, once you're off tow and actually "coring" a good thermal, it's usually  a pretty smooth ride. Other than the near-constant turning, the only thing that's ever bothered me is in gusty conditions, when the wind is tearing up thermals and trying to upset the glider.

A "sleigh ride" on a cloudy calm day is a nice intro to gliders, but  on a good soaring day, despite the physical effort and strain (it's called a "sport" for a reason), it's still fun, in the long run. I wasn't sure how much I'd like this soaring thing until the first time I gained a couple thousand feet and made it to cloud base... it's pretty amazing.

Even if we can't glide, you should definitely visit 47N... cheap fuel for this area, and just a cool airport to hang out at.
Last edited by beaky on Fri May 28, 2010 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Flight School