Engine failure with the tubes

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Engine failure with the tubes

Postby Stewy44 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:28 am

G'day guys,

I know this has been covered 1000s of times before - but I'm a noob.  I've been experimenting with engine failures and wanted to know a few things about descent and approach speeds and emergency procedures (in FS9)

I experimented with an engine-failure in the df 737 while flying from Moscow to Talinn - failure occured over western Russia.

Mistake 1 - I decided to divert to Pskov (where the visibility was like pea soup
Mistake 2 - didn't calculate my descent properly and spent too much time at low altitude
Mistake 3 - used too much flaps and the plane decelerated and fell from the sky :o

Should I have kept going to Talinn where I could have utilised an ILS and had better visibility instead of diverting to Pskov - or do procedures dictate that I "have" to get the jet 'on the ground' asap?

What are the rules regarding flaps settings?  I found out (the hard way) that too much flap will kill airspeed - should single engine approaches be faster and with less flaps than two-engine approaches?  Should I also have dumped most of my fuel too?   

Are there any articles to read about engine failure?

Thanks very much guys

Stew
FS9 - the only way you can fly a 747 while drinking beer
Stewy44
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Engine failure with the tubes

Postby C » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:30 am

Hi Stew,

Without being 737 specific, there are a few things to consider.

Firstly, if you need to divert, or continue to your planned destination, you need good enough visibility and cloudbase - you may well find that on top of the approach minima you have an "engine out allowance" - to compensate for only having 50% of the normal thrust to initiate a go-around should you need it - to add on top of that (I may be wrong, but I suspect the 737 may have one, but don't know what it is - somewhere around 250ft wouldn't be surprising).

Flap settings wise, a single engine VAT may be specified, which will probably be in order of 5-10knots higher than normal. This is to compensate for the fact that you may wish not to take the final flap settings to reduce drag. Also you would probably select each stage of flap later than normal in the approach (to keep on the "correct side of the drag curve").

As for fuel dumping, as long as you were below max landing weight you'd be fine, however common sense of course dictates that the lower your fuel state is, the better performance the aeroplane will have.

Just a few thoughts, some of which are based on logic followed from how we deal with a double engine failure on a 4 jet. :)
Last edited by C on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby -Crossfire- » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:10 am

If you chose to divert, I would take the airport with the best weather.  Don't wanna be doin any single-engine go-arounds.

The 737 can't dump fuel, so you'd have to fly around until you get close to your max landing weight, then start an approach.
-Crossfire-
Captain
Captain

Postby C » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:28 pm

The 737 can't dump fuel, so you'd have to fly around until you get close to your max landing weight, then start an approach.

That answers that question then! I imagine that there isn't too much difference between the MTOW and MLW of the various marks of 737 either (wiki would tend to agree), and due to the nature of their work (short haul) they'd rarely exceed by too much anyway, so a system to dump fuel would be both uneconomical and add weight.
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Tyler012 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:35 pm

Let me look at the Emergency/Abnormal Procedures Checklist I have at home and I'll get back to you on this.
Just a sample of my personal art.
Tyler012
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Tyler012 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:18 am

Alright Here we are: One Engine Inoperative Landing:

Plan a flap 15 landing

If Anti-Ice will be used during the landing, or any other Anti-Ice set vref15 + 10.

Go-Around Procedure:

Accomplish Normal go-around prcedure except:

Use flaps 1
Maintain Vref15+5 to flap retraction altutude
Limit bank angle to 15 degrees until reaching Vref+15.
Accelerate to flap 1 speed prior to flap retract.

If you want to know more just PM me.
Just a sample of my personal art.
Tyler012
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School