circuits

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

circuits

Postby peter-reebok » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:52 pm

I might be really dumb here, so will risk my pride to ask a question.

Circuits.
I assumed (dangerous I know) that a circuit was a rectangular track, usually in a left hand formation, that was performed at about 1000 ft, to ingrain the practice of turns, maintaining altitude, and lining up with markers so as to align with a runway in one leg.
I am now thinking that a circuit starts at the departure runway, and finishes with a landing on the same runway, after proscribing the aformentioned rectangular circuit of the airfield.
anyone care to enlighten this noob?
Again, apologise for the dumb question that it seems everyone else will know the answe tor, but I cant seem to find a reference to which (if either) theory is correct.

If I am gunna be practising something, would prefer to do it correctly, rather than just proceed aimlessly.
:D
peter-reebok
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: circuits

Postby SeanTK » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:23 pm

This is a typical circuit. Touch & goes are usually accomplished over the runway portion, although you can also do a full stop landing and taxi back to the end to depart and go around again. They are usually flown around 1000 feet AGL, although some airports may have specialized policies. Circuits can either be left turns (like this one), or right turns, depending on the specific airport's regulations and/or ATC desires.
A circuit doesn't form a rectangle around the field, rather one edge of the rectangle is the runway. It indeed can be used to practice turns and maintaining altitude, with the main focus being on demonstrating reciprocal headings, situational awareness, and general thinking ahead of the aircraft, along with landing practice.
Last edited by SeanTK on Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanTK

Postby peter-reebok » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 pm

exactly the answer I needed - not war and peace - but enough meat to answer what I asked.

Thankyou.
peter-reebok
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby beaky » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Another pointer: generally speaking, with light aircraft in particular, this pattern should be flown so that on the downwind leg, you are about 1/2 mile from the runway horizontally, and your base leg should be about a mile from the end of the runway (or whatever your desired touchdown point is). It's not a rule really, more just a good formula for most smaller, slower airplanes.
The idea is that once you are that low (pattern altitude), you want to be able to
Last edited by beaky on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby C » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:38 pm

With faster and larger ships, flying a higher 1500-ft. AGL pattern, the distances are usually doubled, for the same reason.

And the big stuff, 2 to 3 miles or more!
C
Colonel
Colonel

Postby olderndirt » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:41 pm

This is a typical circuit. Touch & goes are usually accomplished over the runway portion
Maybe it's just me but I sense a little 'tongue in cheek' here.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Sir Puma » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:35 pm

This is a typical circuit. Touch & goes are usually accomplished over the runway portion
"Guard well the words you use, for they can be the keys to your freedom or the manacles of your slavery." - me
Sir Puma
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby olderndirt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:42 am

olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby SeanTK » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:55 pm

It was a little tongue in cheek, but I also gathered from the original post that the author may have thought that a pattern is a rectangle around the runway, and that the runway is not incorporated into one of the legs of the rectangle. It also seemed as if the author was unsure if touch/go's were a part of a circuit, or if it all was just pattern altitude maneuver practice.  :)
SeanTK

Postby olderndirt » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:53 pm

[quote]it all was just pattern altitude maneuver practice.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby peter-reebok » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:25 pm

[quote]It was a little tongue in cheek, but I also gathered from the original post that the author may have thought that a pattern is a rectangle around the runway, and that the runway is not incorporated into one of the legs of the rectangle. It also seemed as if the author was unsure if touch/go's were a part of a circuit, or if it all was just pattern altitude maneuver practice.
peter-reebok
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight School