Throttle Mixture Tutorial

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Re: Throttle Mixture Tutorial

Postby SeanTK » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Cowl flaps: In my experience....

Fully open = on the ground, climbing, final approach.

Varying degrees of closure/fully closed = cruise flight, descent until lined up on final.

Mixture: you can fiddle with the CHT needles to accomplish a specific temperature goal, or just lean it until the engine roughens/slows then bump it up a tad.
Didn't read through to see if it is mentioned, but it is a good idea to lean the mixture when taxiing/operating on ground at low power settings so you don't allow an excessive carbon buildup to foul the plugs.(Keeping the rpms at at least 1000 also contributes to this practice) Just remember to go full rich for takeoff, keep it full until around 3000 ft (unless your field is at high altitude), and then full rich when landing.
Last edited by SeanTK on Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanTK

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:44 pm

Mixture: you can fiddle with the CHT needles to accomplish a specific temperature

I think you mean EGT.  CHT lags far too much for mixture reference.
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby SeanTK » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:01 pm

Yeah.  ;D The brain wasn't fully functional when I wrote that.

"Let's see...a three letter acronym that is near the engine gauges.....this one sounds good."
;)
SeanTK

Postby olderndirt » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:59 pm

Very good thread.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Augr » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Most FSX aircraft that have cowl flaps don't actually do anything with them.  Sure, there's a knob, but it doesn't do anything.  Brett's C310 is one of the one's that does model them.  If you leave them closed on the ground it gets downright hot under the cowlings.
Augr
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby DenisH » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:29 pm

I'm constantly reminded that my engine (s) are losing power because  of mixture. My Q is: How does one know when the mix is lean enough? I've noticed that if you press "Cntrl-D" the mixture control slides all the way  to lean regardless of the altitude.  (I think it's contrl D but I forget at the moment what buttons you click).
DenisH
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Fozzer » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:16 am

[quote]I'm constantly reminded that my engine (s) are losing power because
Last edited by Fozzer on Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Previous

Return to Flight School