Hiya folks! New and have a couple questions!

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Hiya folks! New and have a couple questions!

Postby rmacttu » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:59 am

Alright guys, I'll admit that I'm a novice at best and don't understand all the terminology(maybe 60-70% of it) used both in the real world and the game.
rmacttu
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Hiya folks! New and have a couple questions!

Postby olderndirt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am

Recalling from a previous life, wind speed less than 10 kts is not a factor in deciding the 'runway in use'.
Last edited by olderndirt on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/oldrt18.jpg
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby Brett_Henderson » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:37 am

This stuff gets into ATC nuances that FSX just can't replicate...

That aside, there are too many variables to answer these questions in relationship to "realism".

For example.. A VOR approach under VFR conditions can be executed as a "circle to land".. meaning, ATC will still vector you per your original flight plan and original runway, and then allow you to land on the runway of your choice. Even under non-VFR conditions, if certain visibility minimums are met, ANY instrument approach can end up as a "circle to land".
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Brett_Henderson » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:39 am

LOL @  "fly  in the ointment"   :D ;D
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby rmacttu » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:13 am

[quote]This stuff gets into ATC nuances that FSX just can't replicate...

That aside, there are too many variables to answer these questions in relationship to "realism".

For example.. A VOR approach under VFR conditions can be executed as a "circle to land".. meaning, ATC will still vector you per your original flight plan and original runway, and then allow you to land on the runway of your choice. Even under non-VFR conditions, if certain visibility minimums are met, ANY instrument approach can end up as a "circle to land".
rmacttu
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby olderndirt » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:09 pm

I come in from the East and could potentially just fly straight in but, am asked to come in from the West.
At a towered airport when the weather is at least VFR and traffic permits, an opposite direction landing can be approved.
Last edited by olderndirt on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:17 am

Sometimes in FSX, depending on the airport, after ATC tells you to expect a certain approach to a certain runway, you have the option of acknowledging, or requesting a new approach and/or a new runway. Keep in mind that if you request a new approach but not a new runway, you will still be told to land on the original runway.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Layne. » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:46 am

Can 'active' runways effect this aswell??
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | 22" LED Monitor (1920x1080) | AMD Phenom II x4 970 Black Edition~3.5Ghz | 4gb RAM | ATI Radeon 6850 1gb | 1Tb HDD

[img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1302666610.
Layne.
Major
Major

Postby rmacttu » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:49 pm

Sometimes in FSX, depending on the airport, after ATC tells you to expect a certain approach to a certain runway, you have the option of acknowledging, or requesting a new approach and/or a new runway. Keep in mind that if you request a new approach but not a new runway, you will still be told to land on the original runway.

This about sums up my confusion.  Somehow, I was confusing the assigned approach with the assigned runway...as in they were practically one in the same.  After reading a bit more in the FSX help files, I found I was poorly mistaken!

Thanks
rmacttu
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby olderndirt » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:19 pm

Sometimes in FSX
My comments were based on real life so may or may not have related to either FSX or FS9.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby BFMF » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 am

This about sums up my confusion.
BFMF
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Aiden327 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:23 pm

Thank you for asking this question, it now makes sense! I hope you don't mind if I extend it with another?

My question how do you know what runway your cleared to land at before its too late?

For Example (terminology is probably off, can't remember it all from memory) if I get "United 1134, turn left heading XXX and expect vectors ILS runway 31 vectors to final at KMDT".

I rather land runway 13 (becuase it is where the planes over my house are headed). Also runway 13 is longer in usable length as 31 has displaced take off only markings and ONLY runway 13 has a ILS Cat II/III aproach where 31 has standard ILS. That may not matter but the lighting system at the 13 side is much more complex with high intensity lights.

I am told "United 1134, Runway 13 ILS approach circle to land runway 31.

Now if I fly the radar vectors and am told,

"United 1134, cleared ILS runway 13 circle to land runway 31, turn left heading XXX descend and maintain 2200 until established contact tower on XXX.XX"

Everything is perfect right? I am following APP Hold down the glide slope of 13 setting flaps and managing the throttle when I contact tower and...

"United 1134, proceed straight in runway 13 circle to land 31." and then "United 1134, cleared to land 31"

I then call an embarrassing go-around and end up landing 31. Should I have landed 13 anyway? The only time FSX ever used runway 13 is during
Last edited by Aiden327 on Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aiden327
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby olderndirt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:55 pm

With an ILS approach to one runway (31) with a circle to land on the other end (13), they must not be using (13) for departures otherwise there'd be a head-on situation.
olderndirt
Major
Major

Postby SeanTK » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:51 pm

In terms of operation in FSX:
Aiden, just go down on the glide slope of 13 or 31 at Harrisburg until you hit around 920ft (give or take, depends on the category of aircraft), then break off the approach and circle around in the prescribed direction to land on the designated runway. Don't declare a missed approach when you get down to the point that you have to break and circle, just do it.
Last edited by SeanTK on Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanTK

Postby Aiden327 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:39 pm

That makes sense, the confusion is that for the few years I have lived here and been at the airport I rarely see any aircraft go to 31. FSX always uses 13 in IFR conditions, but
Last edited by Aiden327 on Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aiden327
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Next

Return to Flight School