University or College Degree

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Re: University or College Degree

Postby Mictheslik » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:02 pm

I would definitely go and get a degree....it's essential as something to fall back on if some unforseen circumstance stops you from being a pilot (especially in the current economic climate ;) )

.mic
[center]Image
Mictheslik
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby HSUred » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:49 am

Hi Nigel,

I'm a collegiate flight instructor and I train young people to get the airline jobs that I couldn't get when I was in my twenties. I got my pilot ratings first and didn't start college until "late" in my thirties--I just want to recommend DON'T do it that way--it has been tough! I love instructing, and I am fortunate to have found a career position. However, if I had gone to college when I was younger I'd be an airline captain by now. Some people will tell you that you can do it without a college degree, and yes it's possible but not a good idea. Some are just trying to get your business, which is fine if you just want to learn to fly, but not the best way to go if it's a career you're looking for.

If you can afford college then by all means do it. There are lots of universities that have aviation programs. I recommend you check AOPA flight training website; they can provide you with all the information you need as well as a list of collegiate aviation programs.

By the way, most college aviation programs use their students as part-time instructors once they get their CFI rating. It sure beats working at the local fastfood restaurant.
HSUred
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Sean_TK » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 pm

I would highly recommend getting a degree in at least something technically oriented if you want to pursue a flying career. I have been getting my licenses on my own, and have been going for a non-aviation, but still technical four year degree at a local university.

I would also consider going into corporate/business aviation versus an airline career. You have a greater chance of increased job security with a career flying corporate jets, with competitive pay, and other aspects that may be more readily available with a corporate career than with the airlines.
Sean_TK
Major
Major

Postby DaveSims » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:07 pm

There are many colleges that offer four year degrees in aviation and flying.  I originally went to college for Professional Aviation, then switched into Aviation Management once I realized that I prefer flying as a hobby than as a career.  Now I work in management at a small commercial airport.
DaveSims
Major
Major

Postby SubZer0 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:34 pm

I've been forunate enough to have made friends with an airline pilot. He's a co-pilot for United Airlines and flies 767 out of Washington. He's my dad's friend's brother-in-law. great guy

He has told me many times that the best way to do it is to go into the Air Force and learn to fly there, as it's unbeatable. I've read that many times all over the internet and others have told me that's the best way as well, but I'm an only child and can't do that to my single mother who has no family in this country.

He said my next option (also the way he did it) was to go to college and get your degree in an aviation field (aeronautical science for me) and get your licenses and ratings at that same college/university. start your career ASAP flying in any way you can for the experience and the hours. my plan is to instruct for 2 years at most then get into regional or hopefully straight into a big company flying internationally, but I doubt it'll go that way ;D

he was lucky enough to have been a Colombian citizen at the time he got his licenses, ratings, and degree. he went straight back to Colombia after college and started flying 727s from Colombia to Miami for a Colombian airline. now he's here in the states flying 767s for United....

I'm in college and nothing is stopping me from becoming a pilot... except maybe the fact that it's harder to get loans nowadays.... but nothing will stop me. determination makes dreams come true. don't forget that. don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

good luck my friend

:)

PS: now to get started on that english paper due tomorrow... grrr
[center][img]http://www.simviation.com/phpupload/uploads/1369006030.jpg[/img][/center]
SubZer0
Major
Major

Postby Ravang » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:53 pm

I not really sure about the airlines. But I'm trying to get a Part 135 (Air Taxi Service/Lodge & Tour Flying) job up in Alaska. I've talked to several bush pilots, including Paul Claus, and they have all told me that you need to work on getting your ratings/time built up first. They said up there it's based on the amount of experience you have, not a degree. Or as Paul told me, "It's not something someone can teach you or that you can read about in a book. You just have to get out there and do it."

Like I said I don't know if the airlines operate along the same lines or not, but I would try to balance your schooling with building up your flight time and ratings. :)
Last edited by Ravang on Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ravang
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby turbofire » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:37 pm

I concur with all the above.   In this day and age you should have a degree to fall back on, however, not just any degree.  My youngest son obtained a BA with a major in philosophy and a minor in German.  Although he graduated summa cum laude, today he works inputing data into a computer all day.  He was luck to get that!
[color=000000]Turbo[/color] [b][i]
turbofire
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight School