I don't think I'll ever..

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

I don't think I'll ever..

Postby Insert Name Here » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:39 pm

Hello..

I've been thinking about people getting liscenced and buying their own plane and all the nice things.

I've looked at the costs it takes, and I mean, most of them are almost a fifth of a standard university tuition for a year! I have soloed in a glider now, and will take my checkride in about 3 months.

I love sailing, but I also want to get into the powered aspect of this 'hobby', if you can call it that.. (more like a dream.. :()

Would anyone have any advice on what I should do, I have read about the RPP (Recreational Permit) but do not know the benefits and the er... "negatives" I will get from it.
Specs
3.0Ghz Celeron D
1.5GB PC3200 DDR
nVidia 7600GT 256MB GDDR3
Insert Name Here
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: I don't think I'll ever..

Postby beefhole » Wed Apr 20, 2005 3:52 pm

Yeah, it's goddamned expensive.  That's why I'm going with the guys that pay me to fly-the Airforce.  If I can't go with them, I'll be leeching off of mom and dad for the rest of my life :-[
beefhole
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:03 pm

Insert. I don't know how old you are but it really depends if you're interested in flying for pleasure or making a career out of it. If it's for pleasure what's the big rush? You don't seem to be doing too badly with your gliding at the moment so I would concentrate on that for now. Your situation in a few years time might be completely different from what it is now & you might be able to think about flying lessons, if you're still interested. There were plenty of things I would have liked to do when I was younger but I had to accept that it was impossible at the time as I simply couldn't afford it.

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby beaky » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:14 pm

When I started out I had some dreams, too; though I might someday own a certified aircraft;  even thought I'd make a stab at flying professionally, but it doesn't look good now for me. But there are still options for the budget-restricted. As far as ownership goes, a kit aircraft or maybe an ultralight is not out of the question for most regular working stiffs.
Can't tell you much about the Recreational ticket; try the FAA's website.
As for a career, my current plan is to get my instrument, commercial, and CFI ratings at least by the time I retire... CFIs who aren't going anywhere and have lots of free time are in a good position to find work. Might be a nice way to supplement what promises to be a very meager post-retirement income. There's a lot more to the flying world than flying heavies for money or owning an expensive aircraft to fly for pleasure...
Last edited by beaky on Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Rocket_Bird » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:46 pm

Hello Insert,

I like to tell you one thing.
Last edited by Rocket_Bird on Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
RB

Rocket_Bird
Major
Major

Postby beaky » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:01 pm

If it's just something you really want to do, don't worry about how long it'll take. If your fortunes change and you can make more out of it, great. But there sure as hell ain't no cheap shortcut.
One thing I definitely plan on doing is: once I get going again, I'm going to try to get a friend to come along on at least every other flight, to help w/ the cost. You know, you can even do this on training flights, if you've got enough seats and the CFI is OK with it...
 And entering a partnership situation is becoming an increasingly popular way to own an airplane- that's something I intend to look into later, for sure. Still not cheap, and not as sweet as having your own plane, but it beats renting.
Last edited by beaky on Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beaky
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Gary R. » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:14 pm

I do the same thing as rocket bird. I take lessons when time and money work together for me which isn't often. If i ever get a PPL I will be content to rent when I can and take any recurrent training and do what's necessary to keep my card valid.  As for ownership, I am more intersted in a UL.  Possibly a powered hang glider or something on those lines.  Something I can dis-assemble, load in my truck, take where I want to fly at, put together, and take off. Or, depending on where I'm living, take off right from my own back yard.  Mywife and i eventually want to own at least 20 acres and build right in the middle of all of that, I would have plenty of space.
AMD 2800xp on gigabyte vt600l k7 triton overclocked @ 2.3 ghz, 768 PC 3200, 128 DDR 6600GT AGP, 60 gig,5200 rpm maxtor, 160gig 7200rpm WD, Sony FD Trinitron 19
Gary R.
Captain
Captain

Postby Staiduk » Tue May 24, 2005 8:11 am

Insert said:
I love sailing, but I also want to get into the powered aspect of this 'hobby', if you can call it that.. (more like a dream.. )

First of all; congratulations on your solo! You've entered a much bigger world.

My advice to you is this: You've started with gliders - stick with them for a while. Learn to fly - really fly - before switching to something with that big noisy grinding windmill out front. In the long run it makes you a much better pilot. It also gives you an 'in':
Once you decide to get your powered permit; you'll have a good source of cheap hours: flying tow for your soaring club. Hours - as you must know well - are critical when looking for a flying job; as is the experience of working in aviation; whether you get paid for it or not.

If it's a dream, that's good - dreams can inspire. But it's not a fantasy; it's a very real possibility if you're willing to put in the time and effort. :)

Cheers!  ;D ;D
Staiduk
Major
Major

Postby TacitBlue » Tue May 24, 2005 9:26 am

My advice would be to get your glider cert. and fly as often as you can. As Staiduk said, it will really help you. then when you really think you are ready, both financialy and mentally, start taking lessons for your PPL or even Sport Pilot or Recreational Pilot, you can always move up. And remember, budget and sacrifice.
A&P Mechanic, Rankin Aircraft 78Y

Aircraft are naturally beautiful because form follows function. -TB
TacitBlue
Major
Major

Postby hatter » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:00 am

Air Force Academy is the way to go! Otherwise, join your ANG.
hatter
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby beefhole » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:00 am

Air Force Academy is the way to go! Otherwise, join your ANG.

Just thought I'd make it clear the the AF Academy, while the best way, is not the only way to become a pilot in the active AF.
beefhole
Major
Major

Postby jrpilot » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:59 am

How many people become pilots in the airforce???

How many enter to become a pilot???
jrpilot
Major
Major

Postby beefhole » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:30 am

How many people become pilots in the airforce???

How many enter to become a pilot???

50% of the slots for flight school are reserved for graduates of the AF academy, the rest are dolled out to ROTC, OTS, etc. graduates.

But good point ;)
beefhole
Major
Major

Postby TacitBlue » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:33 pm

I know a guy who got to go the AF acadamy through some kind of "air scouts" type of program. His girlfreind (and future wife) then talked him out of a flying career ::). It upsets me just to think about it.
A&P Mechanic, Rankin Aircraft 78Y

Aircraft are naturally beautiful because form follows function. -TB
TacitBlue
Major
Major

Postby beefhole » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:59 pm

I know a guy who got to go the AF acadamy through some kind of "air scouts" type of program. His girlfreind (and future wife) then talked him out of a flying career ::). It upsets me just to think about it.

:-/ :'(

My stomach dropped when I read that. ::)
Last edited by beefhole on Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beefhole
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight School