landing a Decathlon

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

landing a Decathlon

Postby awash2002 » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:15 pm

I have the LIC Decathlon and I am having trouble doing a good wheel landing can some one give me tips on doing a good wheel landing?
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Re: landing a Decathlon

Postby OTTOL » Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:36 pm

"Conventional" aircraft purists will tell you that a three point landing is the proper way to land a "taildragger". If you want to do a wheel landing though, I have found that the seat height has to be adjusted UP 2-3 notches, just before landing.  To maintain forward visibility, airspeed must be kept well above stall, and this means that the aircraft will float down the runway in the flare.  If  you setup the airplane early, so that you maintain stall + 5-10knots, you will REMAIN on the ground at the first touch. The CATCH is that you won't be able to see over the nose, hence the seat height technique.  
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby awash2002 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:11 am

I normaly land at 60MPH I will land at 70MPH the airspeed indicator is in MPH
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Postby OTTOL » Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:03 am

Actually 60 would be better. I re-read my post, and I sort of jump around. It's a bit confusing.

Higher speed is BAD, because you tend to NOT LAND when desired. The tradeoff is better visibility.

A Lower speed (at or near stall) means that when  you chop the power, the airplane WILL stay on the runway on the first go.     BUT, in the sim, it's difficult to see over the nose, so adjust the seat height (up) while on final, accordingly.
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby awash2002 » Tue Dec 02, 2003 11:01 am

you should have seen tapes I made from FS2002 in the airhead decathlon I got one that will amaze you you will think its the first time I flew a taildragger plane if you want it please email me at busby2638@comcast.net
awash2002
Captain
Captain

Return to Flight School