how to ease up on controls?

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

how to ease up on controls?

Postby Craig. » Thu Jan 09, 2003 2:34 pm

i was just wondering if anyone could give me some advice on how to ease up my grip on the controls? i have asked my instructor but he hasnt been able to come up with anything that works and its really starting to be a factor especially in take offs.
thanks for any advice
Craig
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Re: how to ease up on controls?

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:28 pm

Craig what do you mean ease up? Use the controls less aggressively or just hold them more gently?
With input, the way I found was to stop pretending I was a fighter pilot and think of the airplane like a woman (they never like it rough).
If its a gripping the controls issue. Get some good leather gloves, like driving ones, or if you can afford it RAF aircrew ones that are a nice tight (but not restrictive) fit. You'll find you feel much more comfortable, and you don't need to grip so hard as the stick doesn't get all sweaty, and therefore your muscles are more relaxed and you fly more gently.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:48 pm

:) it was the gripping issue. thanks for the advice i'll give the gloves a try. My dad works for the MOD at RNAS Yeovilton so i'll see if he can get me a pair from there.
thanks again for the advice much appreciated
Craig
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Sat Jan 11, 2003 1:54 pm

You're welcome Craig. If you can get free ones....

Ozzy ;D
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Craig. » Wed Jan 15, 2003 7:28 pm

aparently my dad wasnt just a mechanic in the army but also a ground runner for the lynx so i now have numerous pairs of gloves and a flight suit that i would never wear and a knife that the army gives to cut out of harnesses. so thats me set for life:)
craig
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:48 am

I've still got my old flight suit, although its a bit tight around the middle at the moment... Christmas excess.
Glad to hear you're all kitted out.

Ozzy ;)
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BE58D » Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:41 pm

Quick advice, the method I was taught... use your index finger and the second finger (not the middle!) to control the yoke.  Really, that is all it takes.
HP Pavillion = p7-1233w
3.20GHz Processor
24GB of RAM (Windows 7 Home Premium only allows for 16GB though) :'(
Radeon 7560D - 4059MB
1TB SATA Internal Hard Drive
BE58D
Major
Major

Postby Ivan » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:05 pm

[quote]Quick advice, the method I was taught... use your index finger and the second finger (not the middle!) to control the yoke.
Russian planes: IL-76 (all standard length ones),  Tu-154 and Il-62, Tu-134 and [url=http://an24.uw.hu/]An-24RV[/ur
Ivan
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Agamer » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:01 am

I thought we were talking about real planes?? ??? ??????????????????
FS9 rules
Agamer
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Craig. » Mon Oct 27, 2003 5:04 am

i was:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby nickle » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:51 pm

Skip the TO's.
How's the grip on landings?
nickle
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

Postby OTTOL » Mon Oct 27, 2003 11:05 pm

Two big factors...........

1) It's just a matter of getting used to the airplane. I fly a big airplane everday, but on occasion I fly a Navajo. Everytime I do a takeoff in the Navajo, after not having flown it for awhile, I overrotate it (pull back to hard) ! Just take your time and get used to the plane. Remember the first time you drove a car, and how second nature it seems now?

2) The trim is your friend! Get used to letting go of the controls often, to see if the plane is "trimmed" for "hands free flight".  A trick that I used to use a an instructor, for students who overcontrolled on landing, was a "hands free" demo in a Cherokee. With the airplane lined up about a mile from the runway, I would trim the airplane, set the power, take my hands off of the controls, and make the student WATCH as the airplane glided by itself to the threshold.   :)
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Return to Flight School