Aerodynamic Braking

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Aerodynamic Braking

Postby Rockin Bassist Benji » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:10 am

Hi everyone,
                  can someone tell me how aerodynamic braking is done in flight sim 2002? I have tried in all the jags, tornados even in the jumbo but none work.
Please help
Ben

Question: What do you call a member of a band who hangs around with no purpose?
Answer: A Bass Guitarist
PC:
AMD Duron (1.7 Ghz)
768MB RAM
40GB HDD + 20GB HDD
On board graphics :-(
Rockin Bassist Benji
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Aerodynamic Braking

Postby Scottler » Fri Aug 08, 2003 2:59 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "aerodynamic braking", however I'm going to assume you mean slowing down while inflight...

There are different techniques depending on what aircraft you're in, but assuming you're just trying to slow down, here are some easy ways to do it:

1.  Decrease or cut your throttle.  Not very quick, but you'll slow down and descend.

2.  Spoilers.  Essentially nothing but air brakes.

3.   Extend your flaps.  Be careful with this though...too fast and you'll damage them.

4.  Lower your gear.  Also not a great idea, because if you're going too fast, you'll damage those as well.  But it WILL slow you down a bit.

5.  Get snobby.  Put that nose a little up in the air.  You'll climb, but you'll slow down, too.  Watch out for the stall speed though!

Hope this helped!
Great edit, Bob.

Google it.

www.google.com
Scottler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Craig. » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:09 pm

and if you mean the sort where by you hold the nose up for as long as you can while landing to create as much drag by using the entire plane wing and fuselage, then it is extremely difficult to fast and you'll get a tail strike or gain height and to slow you wont be able to hold the nose up for and and if its a high angle you risk collapsing the nose gear. flight sim has made this one very very difficult, and if this is what your on about why are you trying it with the tornado?? it has thrust reversers thus eliminating the need to do this manuvere
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Rifleman » Fri Aug 08, 2003 3:45 pm

[quote]I'm not sure what you mean by "aerodynamic braking", however I'm going to assume you mean slowing down while inflight...

There are different techniques depending on what aircraft you're in, but assuming you're just trying to slow down, here are some easy ways to do it:

Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:33 pm

Air Brakes are just that.....high drag devices that intrude into the slipstream to add frontal area to the aircraft in a manner which will not affect flight performance other than a slowing effect.........no pitch, no roll, no yaw....

If your toe steppin', I'm tap dancin'! If you don't think the airbrake on the F15 does'nt cause a pitch change, then we need to talk.
             "AeroDynamic Braking" generally refers to the use of a high angle of attack used to slow an aircraft after the wheels have touched down during the landing process, as mentioned by CraigL. I think I may have most the default settings(in reference to realism), but I don't have a problem with aerodynamic braking. Otherwise I think you will have a crash causing tail strike. It sounds like you fly the "real thing", and if so you know that constant use of trim, during flight, is necessary. I continue to use back trim after the wheels touch down, so that a nose up attitude is maintained without control inputs"hands free". I would'nt try this on the real airplane, I stop trimming at the flare.
Unfortunately, as good as the simulator is, it still is not 100%.  
8)
Last edited by OTTOL on Sun Aug 10, 2003 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Rifleman » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:45 pm

[quote]
If your toe steppin', I'm tap dancin'! If you don't think the airbrake on the F15 does'nt cause a pitch change, then we need to talk.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Sun Aug 10, 2003 7:58 pm

Ok, get your pencil ready. How about the F8 and the A7? 8)Image

I think this guy MIGHT be experiencing a pitch change with the extension of the wing-brake. Just as a note, did ya notice the tips are already folded!  :o
Last edited by OTTOL on Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Rifleman » Tue Aug 12, 2003 8:09 pm

Wing brake ?.....are you talking about the variable incidence wing position which was used on the Crusader to raise the angle of attack without decreasing pilots visibility for approaches to carrier landings, I'm sure though that the lead edge of the wing would act as a brake in the raised position.........I have heard of situations where some pilots have taken to the air oblivious to the fact that the wings are still in the "Stowed-Hangardeck" position....

On the speed brake thing with a Crusader, I thought they had a ventral brake, which may have had a pitch effect, but if used in conjunction with the raising of the wing, the pitch effect may have been cancelled out.Don't forget though, that this design was brought to the air many yrs ago (The first production F8U-1 (BuNo 140444) flew for the first time on September 30, 1955, the same day as the maiden flight of the second XF8U-1. ) .........its not what I would assess as a state of the art A/C these days, since this was almost half a century ago..........
Last edited by Rifleman on Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:05 pm

Air Brakes are just that.....high drag devices that intrude into the slipstream to add frontal area to the aircraft in a manner which will not affect flight performance other than a slowing effect.........no pitch, no roll, no yaw...

To return to the root of the discussion, SOME air brakes do produce adverse control affects that would require re-trimming of the aircraft. Ultimately, as you stated,spoilers-"spoil" or disturb air flow over the wing, reducing lift, and airbrakes-create drag, and increase frontal area, reducing airspeed. Interesting info on the F15, they need to add a smiley face with a boot in it's mouth for me! One thing to consider though, if the aircraft in question is a "lifting body", ie; The Avanti-Piaggio, where somewhere in the neighborhood of 20% of the overall lift is created by the fuselage. ;)
Last edited by OTTOL on Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Rifleman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:57 pm

Absolutely...my only question was the initial statement that a spoiler is essentially an airbrake......but now you know my feelings on it, there is no need to pursue it further....on the Avanti, have you ever seen one ?....we had one operating out of Buttonville in Ont, and I saw it reg as it flew quite close to a model field where I used to fly and instruct.........quite a different sound with those scimitar blade props behind the disturbed flow of the A/C...............on that note, I have seen two actual lifting bodies at Wright-Patterson in the US AirForce Museum.....I believe one was the Martin-Marietta X-24B and the other was an earlier version,...number escapes me at the moment........

Don't worry about the boot in the mouth smilie
Last edited by Rifleman on Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Deputy » Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:14 pm

Depending on a number of factors - such as flaps and spoilers, and other factors. . . Perform a slip. I will explain better later what a slip is, as I am tired right now.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Rifleman » Wed Aug 13, 2003 7:55 pm

Slipping was mentioned in my first post although didn't go into in detail as to how its performed.... ;)
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Thu Aug 14, 2003 2:53 pm

Don't worry about the boot in the mouth smilie   ....being ignorant of facts, means that you just haven't been exposed to the info yet.....there is so much out there which we all, will never know...........    

Absolutely, I try to learn at least one thing a day. Someone mentioned on here not too long ago, that, black&white doesn't always convey the person's feelings well. Humor dominates my input here, but sometimes when I re-read, it appears angry.
.........Perform a slip. I will explain better later what a slip is........
   Unfortunately, I have found that the program doesn't duplicate a slip very accurately. The rudder turns the airplane too much, and tends to exhibit neutral dynamic stablility(it just stays pointed in that direction!) The originator of this post needs to get back here and specify wether he means slowing during landing or flight, so that we can narrow down the subject. Although I have enjoyed the topic!
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Rifleman » Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:29 pm

Rifleman = Jokester........you won't find anger in my posts......humour is a large part of my life too.......... 8)
Last edited by Rifleman on Thu Aug 14, 2003 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:45 am

Beautiful pics! Pretty soon it will be hard to tell from the real thing. I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that, it is one of the things the computer doesn't duplicate well. I used to instruct in 172's and Cherokees, and that was one of my favorite things to demonstrate to students, but the altitude lost(the main intent of a SIDE slip),is nowhere near the amount that occurs during the maneuver in real life. Also most of the aircraft I have tried this on in the sim, tend to be extremely unstable during the maneuver(also not the case in real-life.) :(
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Next

Return to Flight School