Aerodynamic Braking

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Re: Aerodynamic Braking

Postby Rifleman » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:02 am

I do it in my models and its unreal how much height you can lose in a slip .....we sometimes make a bet as to how close you can come to the threshold and still be 200 ft high and still not have to go around.....the only thing is, when cleaning up, you need to add a good bit of power in order to translate the fall into forward speed so you can have enough left to flare....it becomes a real square corner at the bottom....... ;D
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby OTTOL » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:54 am

I go out to the R/C field at Markam Park here in Broward county on occasion, and have seen that you really have to be good at getting those things on the runway from a high or low predicament, depending on where you are when the engine runs out of fuel! :o    Very impressive airmanship indeed. :)
.....so I loaded up the plane and moved to Middle-EEEE..........OIL..that is......
OTTOL
Captain
Captain

Postby Rifleman » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:19 pm

If you think thats impressive, then you should see our runway approaches....on one end, usually the upwind end, due to our prevailing winds here, we have 60'-80' Douglas Firs to use as our " 50' " obstacle to depart over, and on the other end we have a 50' wide gap between them to do our descent through, .....only a very few have followed me in, by slipping down through that gap !
Last edited by Rifleman on Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby congo » Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:31 pm

A simple "airbrake" in a Twin Astir sailplane (and many
other types of sailplanes) is a panel that rises vertically out of the upper wing surface.

Simple as this sounds it produces a complex set of effects. The following is best observed at a full brake setting.

1. The airbrakes add a lot of form drag which is designed
Last edited by congo on Sun Aug 17, 2003 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageMainboard: Asus P5K-Premium, CPU=Intel E6850 @ x8x450fsb 3.6ghz, RAM: 4gb PC8500 Team Dark, Video: NV8800GT, HDD: 2x1Tb Samsung F3 RAID-0 + 1Tb F3, PSU: Antec 550 Basiq, OS: Win7x64, Display: 24&
congo
Major
Major

Previous

Return to Flight School