Q about aircraft control systems

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Q about aircraft control systems

Postby Icarus wings » Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:17 pm

I've been thinking of building my own flight yoke and rudder pedals, having seen some designs on the net.  What I would like to know pertains to the "real world" controls and respones:
1.  In an aircraft with only elevator trim, what happens when you let go of the yoke - in straight and level flight and eg. in a bank.
2.  Related to the question above.  What kind of force feedback is felt on the yoke - I assume there will be some resistance when you bank, but is this enough to (almost) center the yoke when you let go?
3. Is the forces on the control surfaces of a moving plane enough to center the controls?
4.  Rudder pedals.  Have they got a to and fro action.  Whan happens when you depress one pedal, and let it go afterwards - does it center again?
Icarus wings
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Q about aircraft control systems

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:58 am

There will always be feedback in a real world plane, which is why the force-feedback sticks came into existance.
As long as the aircraft is properly trimmed you should be able to let go of the controls and the aircraft will remain flying in the attitude you set it at. In a bank the aircarft controls would set back to their neutral positions and the aircraft would level out.
With the rudder when you press a pedal the rudder will stick out, if you release it then there should be sufficient airflow to blow it back to a neutralish position.

Ozzy
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Icarus wings » Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:59 am

Just another question.

If you press the right rudder pedal, does the left one move at all?
Icarus wings
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby ozzy72 » Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:53 pm

On a real aircraft yes, I haven't come across any peddle sets that do though.

Ozzy :)
There are two types of aeroplane, Spitfires and everything else that wishes it was a Spitfire!
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Icarus wings » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:38 pm

What exactly happens when you press one pedal, does the other move towards you?
Icarus wings
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:54 pm

yeah.
its been a while since i last stepped into a cockpit but if i remember rightly thats basically how it goes. i really cant remember that part to well.
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby ozzy72 » Tue Jul 01, 2003 3:10 am

Yup, the rudder is a bar with a foot plate on each end, push one side away, the other comes towards you.

Ozzy
ozzy72
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rifleman » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:02 pm

Right you are Ozzy, but don't forget to explain this part....
.....the direction that these rudder pedals take is opposite to what you would think.....if you think about the handlebar on a bicycle, the intended turn is indicated by a direction which is perpendicular to the angle now formed by the hand position.....not so with an Aircraft !....its quite the opposite and very daunting to some....in a car or bus, to turn left, you will push on the right and pull on the left hand, but in a plane to turn left, you will effectively push on the left foot pedal and pull on the right !, this gives a perpendicular indication of a right turn.......somehow, not what you might expect ....
Last edited by Rifleman on Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifleman
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Craig. » Tue Jul 01, 2003 12:52 pm

that was something that gave me a few problems first time out. quite funny watching the instructor turn white as i almost went into the side of another PA28. if we were going any faster i prob would have:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight School