The Proper Age

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Re: The Proper Age

Postby MattNW » Mon Mar 31, 2003 8:41 pm

Thirteen is a great age to start. I took my first aerobatic flight when I was 13. We had a small charity airshow every year and that year they had a big name team (anyone remember The French Connection team?) doing a demo in a new aerobatic plane. They announced that they were going to be giving aerobatic rides the following Monday. I talked my parents into letting me skip school that day and bugged my mom for a ride to the airport.

The guy didn't know what to think when this kid walks in and plops $50 on the counter and demanded a ride (the rides were actually meant for prospective buyers of the airplanes, not kids looking for a thrill). He had to go out and talk to my mom first but finally he handed me a parachute and barf bag and took me up.

Didn't need the bag. First he rolled inverted and asked me if I felt OK. I felt great. Told him to do more. We did everything he usually did on demo rides and a few more. When we were done we sat and talked for three hours about flying until my mom came and dragged me away.

If you want to find a flight school just go to a nearby airport and ask them if there are any good schools around. I did my training at an airport about 12 miles from where I lived.

Some years ago an 11 year old flew around the world. His dad was a flight instructor and of course he couldn't be a pilot at that age but he handled everything on the whole flight just as if he were.

Go for it if you think you'll like it.
In Memory of John Consterdine (FS Tipster)1962-2003
MattNW
Major
Major

Re: The Proper Age

Postby BRAD BANKS » Mon Apr 28, 2003 7:25 pm

You can't be too young to learn
My eyes have always been BAD
Dad started teaching me when I could
reach the peddles I was about 10
Back then a lot of people flew without
liences, things were differant 50 years
learn, and learn right

Dad has a sign in his office

"THERE ARE OLD PILOTS AND THERE ARE BOLD PILOTS BUT THERE ARE VERY FEW OLD BOLD PILOTS"  

BHOFMX
BRAD BANKS

Previous

Return to Flight School