The Proper Age

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

The Proper Age

Postby Rockhole » Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:24 am

Ever since I can remember I have always wanted to be a pilot. And now I ask this simple question, what is the proper age to begin Flight School?
Rockhole
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: The Proper Age

Postby Craig. » Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:41 am

well any age is the proper age, the only rule is you cant get your PPL until your 17 USA or UK but if your younger then start asap and build up to actually getting your license on your 17th Bday
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Craig. » Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:43 am

also good luck with it, and find a good flight school to make sure you get your moneys worth, i am on my way to getting mine and its great fun
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Rockhole » Thu Nov 14, 2002 7:59 pm

Okay thanks but I do not know of any flight schools in the Virginia/Marlyand area, but I am sure that through some research I can find out.

I think that my father will finnally go to a flight school to learn simple stuff and he will take me there to see some things. I just hope that thirteen is a good age.
Rockhole
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Craig. » Fri Nov 15, 2002 3:07 am

if your able to keep up the flying aspect of it till your old enough to get your license then 13 is a very good age, it gives you pleanty of time to get the hours you need so you can pass your test as soon as possible at 17
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby robbo1 » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:10 pm

This is probably an old topic, but ill post it anyway....
I fly in MD, there are a TON of training centers around, theyre at most mid-size airports.  About age, I disagree with what y2cragie says, 13 is much to young in my opinion.  I started flying at 15, soloed at 16 and some months, and am now working on building hours and skill.  Plenty of time.  Remember, if you start too early, you might end up paying a lot more than you would if you started a little later.
robbo1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Craig. » Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:17 pm

thats a good point about money from earlier age, my bad:)
Craig.
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Deputy » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:58 pm

I am training to become a flight instructor for instrument ratings. The FAA minimum age for solo flight is 16. You must be 17 to get a private pilots licence.
Bad boys, bad boys, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when I come for you?

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Women are: attractive, single, mentally stable. Pick two.
[img]http://www.simviation.com/yabbuploads/
Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Iroquois » Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:30 pm

In Canada, the Ministry of Transportation and the TSB minimum age for solo flight is 16 but you can begin learning before that.
Just one question, how much does it cost to learn to fly?
[center]I only pretend to know what I'm talking about. Heck, that's what lawyers, car mechanics, and IT professionals do everyday. ;)
The Rig:
AMD Athlon XP2000+ Palomino, ECS K7S5A 3.1, 1GB PC2700 DDR, Geforce FX5200 128mb, SB Live P
Iroquois
Major
Major

Postby Deputy » Sun Jan 05, 2003 8:56 pm

Well, it really depends on a number of factors, many of which many people do not think of. I have some to throw by
1. Landing Fees
2. Taxes
3. See number 1
4. How far you want to go with your training

By all means, it is best to reasearch everything you can about your flight school. I am sorry to say, that I am not familiar with Canada's flight laws pertaining to this.
In the US, it would cost around $4500 U.S., this number does not include books, examiner fees, and any extra hours required to satisfy your instructor that you are well trained enough to solo.

Hope this helped
Brad

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Stratus_Fractus » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:13 pm

Actually minimum age for solo in Canada is 14. Earliest license you can get is your gliders at 14 and Recreational Pilot at 16, PPL at 17.
Greg
Stratus_Fractus
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby Deputy » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:36 pm

FAA Regs

FAR Sec. 61.103
To be eligible for a private pilot certificate, a person must:
(a) Be at least 17 years of age for a rating in other than a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 16 years of age for a rating in a glider or balloon.
(c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training or reviewed the person's home study on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required knowledge test.
(e) Pass the required knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.105(b) of this part.
(f) Receive flight training and a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor who:
(1) Conducted the training in the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought; and
(2) Certified that the person is prepared for the required practical test.
(g) Meet the aeronautical experience requirements of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought before applying for the practical test.
(h) Pass a practical test on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.107(b) of this part that apply to the aircraft rating sought.
(i) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the aircraft category and class rating sought.

FAR 61.83
Eligibility requirements for student pilots.

To be eligible for a student pilot certificate, an applicant must:
(a) Be at least 16 years of age for other than the operation of a glider or balloon.
(b) Be at least 14 years of age for the operation of a glider or balloon.
(c) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Deputy
Major
Major

Postby Deputy » Sun Jan 12, 2003 1:43 pm

Everybody always complains about how much they have to do to get the certificate. . . Here is what I have to go by. . .

Sec. 61.183

Eligibility requirements.

To be eligible for a flight instructor certificate or rating a person must:
(a) Be at least 18 years of age;
(b) Be able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's flight instructor certificate as are necessary;
(c) Hold either a commercial pilot certificate or airline transport pilot certificate with:
(1) An aircraft category and class rating that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and
(2) An instrument rating or privileges on that person's pilot certificate that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought, if applying for--
(i) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating;
(ii) A flight instructor certificate with an airplane category and multiengine class rating;
(iii) A flight instructor certificate with a powered-lift rating; or
(iv) A flight instructor certificate with an instrument rating.
(d) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor on the fundamentals of instructing listed in Sec. 61.185 of this part appropriate to the required knowledge test;
(e) Pass a knowledge test on the areas listed in Sec. 61.185(a)(1) of this part, unless the applicant:
(1) Holds a flight instructor certificate or ground instructor certificate issued under this part;
(2) Holds a current teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at an educational level of the 7th grade or higher; or
(3) Is employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.
(f) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas listed in Sec. 61.185(a)(2) and (a)(3) of this part that are appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought;
(g) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor on the areas of operation listed in Sec. 61.187(b) of this part, appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought;
(h) Pass the required practical test that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought in an:
(1) Aircraft that is representative of the category and class of aircraft for the aircraft rating sought; or
(2) Flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of the category and class of aircraft for the rating sought, and used in accordance with an approved course at a training center certificated under part 142 of this chapter.
(i) Accomplish the following for a flight instructor certificate with an airplane or a glider rating:
(1) Receive a logbook endorsement from an authorized instructor indicating that the applicant is competent and possesses instructional proficiency in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures after providing the applicant with flight training in those training areas in an airplane or glider, as appropriate, that is certificated for spins; and
(2) Demonstrate instructional proficiency in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures. However, upon presentation of the endorsement specified in paragraph (i)(1) of this section an examiner may accept that endorsement as satisfactory evidence of instructional proficiency in stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery procedures for the practical test, provided that the practical test is not a retest as a result of the applicant failing the previous test for deficiencies in the knowledge or skill of stall awareness, spin entry, spins, or spin recovery instructional procedures. If the retest is a result of deficiencies in the ability of an applicant to demonstrate knowledge or skill of stall awareness, spin entry, spins, or spin recovery instructional procedures, the examiner must test the person on stall awareness, spin entry, spins, and spin recovery instructional procedures in an airplane or glider, as appropriate, that is certificated for spins;
(j) Log at least 15 hours as pilot in command in the category and class of aircraft that is appropriate to the flight instructor rating sought; and
(k) Comply with the appropriate sections of this part that apply to the flight instructor rating sought.

Sec. 61.213

Eligibility requirements.

(a) To be eligible for a ground instructor certificate or rating a person must:
(1) Be at least 18 years of age;
(2) Be able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's ground instructor certificate as are necessary;
(3) Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, pass a knowledge test on the fundamentals of instructing to include--
(i) The learning process;
(ii) Elements of effective teaching;
(iii) Student evaluation and testing;
(iv) Course development;
(v) Lesson planning; and
(vi) Classroom training techniques.
(4) Pass a knowledge test on the aeronautical knowledge areas in--
(i) For a basic ground instructor rating, Secs. 61.97 and 61.105;
(ii) For an advanced ground instructor rating, Secs. 61.97, 61.105, 61.125, and 61.155; and
(iii) For an instrument ground instructor rating, Sec. 61.65.
(b) The knowledge test specified in paragraph (a)(3) of this section is not required if the applicant:
(1) Holds a ground instructor certificate or flight instructor certificate issued under this part;
(2) Holds a current teacher's certificate issued by a State, county, city, or municipality that authorizes the person to teach at an educational level of the 7th grade or higher; or
(3) Is employed as a teacher at an accredited college or university.

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Deputy
Major
Major

Postby robbo1 » Sun Jan 12, 2003 9:56 pm

I dont quite see how all that cra.... er, stuff, answers the question.  Anyone can look in the AIM/FAR and see what the minimum age for the certificate is...
robbo1
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Deputy » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:00 pm

I know, its a bunch of mumbo jumbo that makes no sense - but unfourtionatly, I am not allowed to quote a small section or part of the FAR (why I have no clue)

- Brad

Iustita Omnibus
Justice for All

Deputy
Major
Major

Next

Return to Flight School