Messed Up Trim

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Messed Up Trim

Postby WPadgett » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:44 pm

FS9.1 build 40901.01, no additions, default Learjet 45.

Did something to this plane and it's now impossible for me to trim it to wings level in cruise. Have the same version of FS9 on another computer and there's no problem trimming the Learjet. I've done very few changes to my aircraft configuration files and only one to the Learjet in an effort to correct this problem. Fuel load is even, aileron trim centered.

Using rudder trim changes the wing low situation resulting in either left or right wing low with no setting yielding wings level. Tried reducing rudder trim effectiveness (first config file change for the Lear) and that helped a little but still unable to get wings level.

Anyone have any ideas what I might have done to cause this? Or better, to correct it?

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Messed Up Trim

Postby GlobalHobo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:06 am

Sounds like more of a flight sim question than a flight school question. Assuming autopilot engaged and equal thrust on both engines, having the rudder displaced to one side or the other will result in the opposite wing dropping during straight-and-level flight. The aircraft is trying to correct an asymmetric lift condition caused by the yaw input.
Not being an expert on .cfg mods, if the Lear is operating normally in another setup, I'd copy the .cfg from there and overwrite the one in the problem aircraft. Worth a shot. Back-up before you make changes.
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby WPadgett » Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:14 pm

GH you're right! Your suggestion does sound like it's worth a try

Thanks!

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby WPadgett » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:53 pm

GH, I'm happy to report your suggestion worked. I can now trim the Lear Jet to wings level.

Thanks!

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby GlobalHobo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:41 pm

Yay! :D
GlobalHobo
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School