ILS

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

ILS

Postby gtaomg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:58 am

Hello, I was just getting started on ILS landings after a long hiatus. I forgot most of the procedures. I am using the default planes along with the PA A380-800. After mastering these, I plan on getting started on the PMDG which I already have had. Anyway, I was wondering, what is a reliable way to determine which runway approach control will give you? For example, when I am in flight planner, and setting my route with all the waypoints and such, I need to know which runway I will be landing at. Say I set my waypoints in a way that I come in south, and the wind changes directions so they assign me the other runway. How do I manage to complete the flight without having to take manual control, go off of GPS, and land manually? I can't do the whole FMC stuff because I forgot most of it and plus the default planes don't have FMCs. I just want to get the n00by basics down first. Sorry if this is a stupid question, and please pardon my n00biness. Thanks for reading! :liar:
gtaomg
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: ILS

Postby Fozzer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:59 am

My advice would be to dial-up ATIS* on your radio when approaching the selected Airfield.....
(The frequency to dial will appear on your various Maps).
Make a careful note of everything that is broadcast.

That will give you all the information that you need to accomplish a safe and correct landing!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

* ATIS: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... on_Service
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby pegger » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:45 pm

You can look up the official METAR for your destination to get a reasonable forecast for the expected conditions at your arrival time. Look to the sections that start with FM or BECMG for the expected forecast at the specified times.

Obviously, nobody (even the mighty FAA) can be 100% sure of future weather, so it is important to dial up the ATIS or look up the METAR as you begin your arrival to get yourself setup for the expected actives.

If you are flying online with controllers, you can always ask for information along the way. I suspect that this kind of service is lacking with single player, in game ATC, but i have never flown with automated ATC so i don't know.
pegger
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby gtaomg » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:37 pm

Okay, so it is evident that I can never be sure what I am in for, right? I can plan using the METAR but should be prepared to alter my route if weather changes.. Thanks guys!
gtaomg
Ground hog
Ground hog

Postby WPadgett » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:01 am

>>when I am in flight planner<< in this post I'm assuming you're using the flight planner in FS9.

If so, then you should fly your flight, from the start, using FS9's ATC. Doing this will result in ATC issuing radar vectors and an "Expect ILS approach to runway (the active)" clearance with the first vector. That usually happens around 50 to 90 miles from your destination. The "Expect Approach" given is normally to the active and Approach Control will clear you for that approach before handing you off to the Tower or CTAF. That last handoff is usually within 25 miles of your destination.

FS9 ATC - approach control will vector you to a very shallow intercept angle outside the final approach fix and below the glideslope allowing you to utilize a coupled autopilot approach.

So, doing it as above, you shouldn't bother with planning your arrival route. ATC ignores the flight plan route after the first vector. Follow the vectors given then fly the approach.

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby WPadgett » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Recently picked up this tip on another forum.

When you get your first vector ATC will tell you the approach to expect. You then have the opportunity to "request another approach."

You can select the approach for the routing and runway you have set up. The catch is you have to select a transition other than vectors.

When ATC approves your new approach and transition you'll be cleared to the initial fix for your transition which usually means you'll continue to follow your flight plan route. After Approach hands you off to the tower you can pretty much do whatever you like.

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby logjam » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:07 am

As an ex military pilot, I relate the final fix to the ILS as "The Gate." Getting vectors to the gate is a no brainer if you follow instructions from ATC. The trick in FS is to make sure you intercept the GP from below. Also some of the ILS approaches are not accurate, requiring an ILS to visual as soon as you notice anything going wrong. Otherwise you'll be going around or buying the farm.
logjam
Major
Major

Postby PhantomTweak » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:42 am

logjam wrote:or buying the farm.

I used to own one of those Farms, but I sold mine. :lol:
Just never could get used to the location!
Actually bought my interest in it during my last eye operation. Only had it for 7 min, I heard. I never even knew...
Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby WPadgett » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:06 pm

The purpose of requesting another approach with a transition is to avoid the annoying seesaw FS9 ATC vectors. I offered the suggestion to the OP so that he'd be sure to get the approach for which he'd set up his flight plan. I've tried it several times and it works well for me. So far.

- logjam, I don't understand what you mean by "requiring an ILS to visual as soon as you notice anything going wrong." ??? Also, what sort of ILS accuracy problems are you referring to? TIA!

CP ASMEL Instruments
WPadgett
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Postby EasternHops FSX Flight Radio » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:21 am

hello everyone

A big FYI: when you are doing airport hops and want to look up "ATIS" for that airport in FSX you need to assign
refresh scenery I use "6" in your button controls. this will refresh data for that area and you will see your jetways as well. hope this helps

Eastern42oo "EasternHops FSX & Flight Radio" http://www.easternhops.com <<t
EasternHops FSX Flight Radio
Ground hog
Ground hog

Return to Flight School