Descending during a hold

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Descending during a hold

Postby Ant87 » Sat May 17, 2014 5:54 pm

Hi,

I was wondering.

If I am descending to a hold at say 6000ft (lowest hold at Dayne on approach to EGCC) and for some reason I can't get down by the time I cross the intersection/VOR etc due to weather or some other reason, would I enter the holding pattern and descend within it down in a big spiral or would I be directed off somewhere else by ATC until I reached the desired altitude then told to enter the hold?

Thanks
Ant
Ant87
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Descending during a hold

Postby PhantomTweak » Sat May 17, 2014 11:17 pm

Just stay in the bounds of the holding pattern, descend to your assigned altitude as soon as you can, keep an eye open for traffic that may be at altitudes you are passing through. as holding patterns can be stacks at the higher use airports. If you have it, keep an eye on tCAS and listen to the ATC for traffic conflicts. Always best to try and be at altitude before you hit hold though, so maybe take a big as needed 360 to get down before arrival. Or scare the crap out of the pax and chop the throttles and point the nose at the ground to get to altitude NOW :lol: :lol:

Wingovers are another passenger thriller, trust me :D

Anyway, I hope that helps a little :)
Pat☺
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Re: Descending during a hold

Postby Ant87 » Sun May 18, 2014 12:08 pm

Cheers man thanks for the answer. <<q