How to know which rwy is active before arriving at the ap.

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

How to know which rwy is active before arriving at the ap.

Postby stephan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 pm

When I set my flight plan on my FSNavigator,I naturally enter the active rwy for take off.HOWEVER...there is no way that I know of on how to know which rwy will be active at the airport I am flying to. Let say... I leave KCLE on rwy 24L in wintery weather. I am going to fly to KDFW. Is there a way I can find out while setting up my flight plan which rwy will be active at KDFW?
stephan

Re: How to know which rwy is active before arriving at the a

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:43 pm

stephan wrote:When I set my flight plan on my FSNavigator,I naturally enter the active rwy for take off.HOWEVER...there is no way that I know of on how to know which rwy will be active at the airport I am flying to. Let say... I leave KCLE on rwy 24L in wintery weather. I am going to fly to KDFW. Is there a way I can find out while setting up my flight plan which rwy will be active at KDFW?

As you approach the airfield, dial up the ATIS frequency on your radio.

(Remember the weather may/will be different at the destination Airport from when you started off!)

You will be given advice, including the weather, pressure, etc, and instructions on which runway to use for BOTH landing and take off.

Your Airfield charts should also tell you!

The various radio messages can be obtained using the " ' " key on the keyboard!

Using the full Bendix-King Radio Stack on the default Cessna 172/default Beech Baron 58 is an excellent way to learn all about radio communication!

Paul...I love using my radios... :mrgreen: ...!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_ ... on_Service

P.S. FS Navigator can often be misleading..as it often shows runway approaches at opposite ends of the runway using the same ILS frequency!.....one of which may be incorrect/illegal!
ATIS will always tell/advise you the correct runway, and which end to use!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stephan » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Thanks Paul. I figured that may be the only way. That's how I have been doing it so far. Just a pain trying to readjust the data entry into the FSNavigator...not that I really need it.I could always use the GPS and AP method only,but that gets old real quick. Guess simming can get realism right only so far. Thanks.
stephan

Postby Fozzer » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm

stephan wrote:Thanks Paul. I figured that may be the only way. That's how I have been doing it so far. Just a pain trying to readjust the data entry into the FSNavigator...not that I really need it.I could always use the GPS and AP method only,but that gets old real quick. Guess simming can get realism right only so far. Thanks.

Hello Stephan....

The funny thing is, although I have used FS Navigator since it was first invented/released, I rarely, if ever, use it for flight programming....
I mostly use the FS 2004/FSX default VFR/IFR flight programmer. It seems to do everything for me, together with "Flight Following" for in-flight advice.
I mostly use FS Nav for the moving GPS Map, showing me and my Multiplayer mates!

Simple and cheerful... :D ...!

Paul.... :mrgreen: ...!

Don't forget Chums, the excellent "FS Tramp" does the same job for FSX as FS Navigator does for FS 2004 ...by the same author!.... ;) ....!
...and its FREE!...>>> http://www.fstramp.com/
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby stephan » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:11 am

If you mean the Flight Planner,I used that as well in the past.But I wanted something a little different. Actually,today I found out how to use the sid/star on the FMC and then,rather than input the arrival rwy in as well,I could just input the airport,then listen to ATIS and hold a circular flight pattern until I got an opening to land on the active.Before,I thought I HAD to input a rwy into the FMC. Makes it more interesting for me now to use the FMC. And...I dont need the plan loaded into the FSNavigator either. There's a little more to it than what I am putting down here,but all in all,my problem is solved and my head's back in the clouds. :dance:
stephan

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:11 am

You can flight plan realistically, if you use real weather..

-check the weather (METAR/TAF) for your arrival airport, to get the local winds and calculate the likely runway in use .. http://aviationweather.gov/adds/metars/

-all larger airports and many smaller fields have access to ASOS/AWOS by phone .. http://www.airnav.com/

Even if you use static, or user-defined weather; you can mouse-over an airport on the FSX map to get the local winds/weather..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:53 am

..talking about Weather....

..one of those daft questions that I often make.... :D ..!

As a comfortable VFR pilot, in my various little GA aircraft, I mostly pre-set my time of day between late morning and early afternoon, (to obtain most light), and the time of year as late Summer to early Autumn (Fall), (to obtain the nicest ground scenery), wherever I am in the World.

..NOW....

.....when I select my flight in South California it will probably be real-time Winter there, freezing cold, and pouring with rain, in the middle of the night!

SO...

If I select my preferred flight time as detailed above.....and select "REAL Jeppeson WEATHER"...I suspect the weather detail will correspond to the REAL TIME weather conditions at that location at this very moment in time ...and not some nice Summery, day-time weather at my selected location, at my selected time of the year!

So to get accurate local weather conditions , we must fly during REAL LOCAL TIME, at our selected location?

What do you reckon?

Paul.... :D ..!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby Brett_Henderson » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:11 am

If you're gonna customize a flight.. might as well customize the weather, too.. :)

You can go into 'user defined' weather and customize it right down to several wind/temp/cloud layers.. then of course you'd know the weather/winds..

If you pick a weather 'theme', you can still mouse-over the airport for the winds/weather..

But yes.. if you use 'real weather', it will be at THAT time (local or universal), which takes you back to AWOS/ASOS.. (though you'd prob not to call Half Moon Bay, from England..lol).. but again.. the last line of defense is the FSX map, and a mouse-over..
Brett_Henderson
Major
Major

Postby Fozzer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:31 am

..got it, Brett... ;) ...!

"Real Jeppeson Weather" will always be the real weather, at that location, at that precise time, irrespective of our pre-set time theme!

But, I suppose, if I select Half Moon Bay in the middle of the day in Summer, and it happens to be pouring with rain in real time, in the middle of winter in Half Moon Bay, according to Jeppeson.....it will also be wet and miserably in my Flight Sim when I select "Real Weather.".. :think: ...!

Before my Cal flights I often take a peek at the Cal News Weather Forecasts beforehand to get some idea what its going to be like during my flight....(Kron4 News).

Paul.....Donning my Sou--Wester!... :D ...!
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Return to Flight School