A common error....

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

A common error....

Postby Fozzer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:30 am

..amongst new Flight Sim Pilots in the use of the Autopilot.....

....leaving it engaged during take-off and landing!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gl ... e-25344780

It prevents you from having full control of the aircraft.

A very expensive mistake!

Paul.
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Re: A common error....

Postby ViperPilot » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:32 am

Thankfully, he still had the parachute for the Cirrus!

The AP is good for taking a break, for just a little bit. No, and don't fall asleep while the AP is ON!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cTULg7irf4

Surprising the Cirrus took so much damage from an upright parachute deployment; must have come down on something hard!

<<q
ViperPilot
Captain
Captain

Postby PhantomTweak » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:28 pm

I've done that more than a few times in the SIms, now it's part or my pretakeoff checklist. darn embarrassing. I would hate to do it IRL. Thankfully, you normally start a real life flight "cold and dark" and the autopilot isn't on untill activated by the pilot. I still checked it off as part and parcel of my on internal pre takeoff roll scan of the intruments/controls when I WAS flying for real!

Take care all! Follow those checklists religiously!

Pat~
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain
Captain

Postby Fozzer » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:54 pm

Another worth-while tip for the Sim Pilot...
If you find that the previous user has left the Autopilot to "on" (or even "off") during his/her flight.....when you disengage it before flight, don't forget to re-trim the aircraft manually; pitch and rudder, and set the "Altitude" to a safe height, and "Vertical Speed" to a safe setting on the radios, otherwise, when you engage it during flight it will catch you by surprise and the aircraft might not do what you expect it to do, and you will find yourself frantically trying to reset all the cruise settings before the aircraft nose-dives into the ground, or changes course rapidly!
...and don't forget the (HSI) Horizontal Situation Indicator tuning Bug/Knob setting for the desired direction!

Check ALL the the Radio "flight settings" before take-off!

So many things to catch out the unwary!

Paul... :mrgreen: ...!
Win 8.1 64-bit. DX11. Advent Tower. Intel i7-3770 3.9 GHz 8-core. 8 GB System RAM. AMD Radeon HD 7700 1GB RAM. DVD ROM. 2 Terra Byte SATA Hard Drive. Philips 17" LCD Monitor. Saitek Cyborg X Fly-5 Joystick. ...and a Briggs and Stratton Petrol Lawn Mower.
Fozzer
Colonel
Colonel

Postby PhantomTweak » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:11 am

And catch me out they always manage to! :D :lol:

Pat~
Have fun, fly high, far, and free!
Pat
2S7, Chiloquin OR Image
PhantomTweak
Captain