Question on CFI Instruction techniques

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Question on CFI Instruction techniques

Postby jacksmith » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:36 pm

I’m in the middle of getting my ppl. I’m not sure if I’m getting very good training or not. I’ve flown several times with this CFI and am doing fine. This is mostly since I had flown several years back and it’s been mostly a review.

I’ve noticed that there are long pauses in the airplane with no instruction going on. When the airplane is in straight and level flight for example. This can be a significant portion of the flight as we are heading to a practice field or heading back to the airport.

I just feel as if there’s enough to learn about flying that the instruction should be continuous. That 15-20 mins or so of silence during an hour of flying is around $70 I’m spending with this CFI.

I suppose I should always come prepared with questions to keep the instruction flowing. Any thoughts?
jacksmith
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Question on CFI Instruction techniques

Postby captcaveman » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:05 pm

I got my PPL in 2021
My instructor never did that. there was always conversation during the flight.
there are times when you will fly straight and level for extended periods such as cross country trips but there was always some kind of instruction or general review going on
instructors get paid by the hour and alot of them only instruct to build hours so they can move on to airline pilot.
none of your lesson time should be wasted.

maybe talk to your instructor about your concerns, also there's no shame in asking for another instructor.
captcaveman
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Question on CFI Instruction techniques

Postby dbob0921 » Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:07 am

captcaveman wrote:I got my PPL in 2021
My instructor never did that. there was always conversation during the flight.
there are times when you will fly straight and level for extended periods such as cross country trips but there was always some kind of instruction or general review going on
instructors get paid by the hour and alot of them only instruct to build hours so they can move on to airline pilot.
none of your lesson time should be wasted.

maybe talk to your instructor about your concerns, also there's no shame in asking for another instructor.

I agree. There should be some type of instruction, or discussion at least. It sounds like this instructor is using the job as a stepping stone to build his 1500 hours. I'd suggest that you try a new one.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.”Leonardo da Vinci
dbob0921
2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Flight School