Macking visual landings

Ask questions about flying techniques here. Real or Simulated - the principles are the same!

Macking visual landings

Postby jetstar2021 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:57 pm

Macking visual landings are very difficult for me, I'm not sure when to start the descent
Example:5 or 6 miles from the runway @ 1.800 ft...using a 737.800 @ LAX Rwy 7-L.

I place...00000 in the alt box and...800 in the vertical speed box, the aircraft starts to descend, however, I'm always too high when I reach the Rwy.
Now since I'm new to simming, is this the right procedure for making a visual landing?
I would like to be able to do this the right way, just as real pilots. Some airports have no ILS equipment so, you must land visually.

Also: Does anyone have an approach plate for SBKP airport?.. I can't find any online.
Made landing there yesterday and, I couldn't figure what altitude to be at during the final approach.

Thanks for your help!
jetstar2021
Ground hog
Ground hog

Re: Macking visual landings

Postby Travis » Mon Jan 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Visual landings can be done using the actual controls, just done by hand. However, if you're trying to fly an approach of any kind, I would take courses provided in the sim and they will teach you quite a bit about the proper procedures. 1,800 ft above the ground? Sounds like you're off glideslope in general, although I would have to see what the procedures for the 737 say....

As for approach plates, etc, try http://www.faa.org, the government's site for all things registered or involved with commercial and civil aviation. Specifically, the Airport Diagrams search function. It should give you all the available information on the airport you are flying into. Check around on the rest of the FAA site; there is a lot of useful information there.
Travis
Major
Major

Postby Hagar » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:36 am

Founder & Sole Member - Grumpy's Over the Hill Club for Veteran Virtual Aviators
Member of the Fox Four Group
My Google Photos albums
My Flickr albums
Hagar
Colonel
Colonel

Postby jetstar2021 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Thanks for all your help!
jetstar2021
Ground hog
Ground hog